1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your perfect woman (or man)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 12, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OMG! Is it nerdly of me to admit that Little Man and I have no less than FIVE light sabers and that we routinely do battle?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

For the first time tonight I will give a serious answer, at least in part.

For me, the perfect woman is someone with whom I can spend an afternoon doing nothing but watching mindless television while barely speaking and feel completely content. I had that once; it was the greatest feeling I've ever experienced.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DD, I want someday to drive a man to such devotion that he pens things like that.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That was, indeed, very touching. And, like you, I had it once. Damned life, always changing on me....

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I suspect you will, fair maiden. He might not be able to express those feelings quite that way, but he'll certainly feel them. Even that isn't always enough, because marriage is a challenge even for the happiest couples I know. But it's a good start. And it will renew your faith in one another when times get tough. I like to write that stuff every now and then just to remind myself that I met a wonderful woman, and that being her partner means pushing myself to live up to the man she believes I am. I don't always succeed and sometimes there are tears and frustration. But she's always worth the effort. And the person I always want to wake up to.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Booooooo! No plagiarizing yourself. [/crossthreading] :D

(Hey, someone's got to keep the man grounded, dammit!)

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This kind of scandal could affect the way the selection committee views me in this week's Bracketology. I might drop five or six spots if news of this scandal goes board-wide.

How's that for crossthreading?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I try not to give this subject too much thought because I'm fiercely single. Some of it's by choice, some of it's by the way things shake out. I won't go into how picky I am with physical traits. I doubt most of you would want that, anyway.

However, if I were out looking for the perfect companion, he would be someone who can enjoy musical selections from classical to classic rock, country to R&B, with a few things interspersed. He's not into wines; rather, he'll drink either a microbrew or a Miller Lite. And he'll tell you it's not about the drink you have in your hand, it's about the company you drink with and the way they make you feel.

He'd be well read, whether it be the big national-scale daily newspaper or the weekly rag I spend an inordinate amount of my time editing. He'd be more likely to read Sports Illustrated than fashion magazines. He'd be able to talk intelligently about sports. He'd ask me how it felt to question Greivis Vasquez about hitting a tough jumper or sweat out Gary Williams's response to my question about the team's lack of intensity.

He'd be there with quiet support when I've had yet another run in with my publisher or quiet prodding when I refuse -- yet again -- to even say hello to my mother. And he'd expect the same sort of honesty from me. In short, he'd be some of the things I am and some of the things I'm not. We'd complement each other and we'd compliment each other. We'd constrast with each other and be able to disagree with a strong dose of respect providing an undercurrent.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Perfect. I suppose some people convince themselves they found it. I can't remember what age I was when I realized I wasn't on safari for an ideal, that the secret to a happy life was to appreciate and enjoy each woman not measured by a common scale by her own, that it wouldn't work out usually, but someday it would and it did. Springsteen said it pretty well: tough enough for love. Perfect has nothing to do with it.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Forever, you reminded me of the one trait I truly appreciate in an ex-boyfriend.

We had the 'guess what' phone call. We knew that when we picked up the phone and heard the other one saying 'guess what,' we were the first ones in each other's lives to hear whatever news followed.

It is something I'd like in aforementioned ideal man.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what I miss most. I liked picking up the phone after something great happened -- or if nothing at all happened -- and call the girl to tell her all about it. It was simple, but it was so important to me.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm finding it more and more important that I want a girl who has the same desire to see the world that I do. I will have no problem settling down and living somewhere as long as I can still travel and see new places often. There's too many great places in this world to not try and see as many as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted