1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your perfect nightcap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Jameson with two ice cubes or a homebrew that's been taken out of the fridge for 20 minutes. Tonight it's the brew -- an extra bitter Canadian blonde ale.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nope. This was my beer of choice. It's about the only beer that Molsons produces that tastes like beer

A few bars carry it and you can still buy it at The Beer Store--but only in a 2-4.

Oh, and the discussion here is about nightcaps. Technically, they're what you drink AFTER you've pounded back a dozen beers, right?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a few 50s, and man, do I miss the stubby bottles.

JR's right, Stock Ale is a quality brew, even if they have to dust off the only case they ever seem to have before your buy it at the Beer Store.

As for nightcaps, nothing better on a Saturday night in the middle of winter with a fire going than this:

[​IMG]

In the summer, give me this:

[​IMG]

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

One of the great ones. Put on one of my earliest drunks w/50, going into Parc Jarry when I was about 15. Used to like the O'Keefe's on those Jarry trips, too.

If we're talking about after-dinner drinks, a 20- or 30-year tawny is nice.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe 50 was the first beer somebody actually gave me, at a family function when I was 15 or so (I used to sneak a bottle or two of Canadian out of my old man's stash previous to that.) Cinquante was my exclusive brew when I was in Montreal for the NHL Draft. Good times!

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I think I love you.

For me: Oban 14-year, or Gentleman Jack on the rocks.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny how Labatt went straight down into the toilet ever since they were bought by Belgium-based InBev S.A. Seems like they've retreated from the Canadian beer war.

8. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Triumph Pumpkin Ale this time of year.

Patron on the rocks with a twist any time of year.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bottled Guinness sucks... The cans aren't too bad, but I agree that you need it on the tap at a good Irish pub.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I save my Guinness drinking for good Irish pubs that move a lot of the stuff and keep their lines cleaned.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Crown and 7 is delicious. And I'm 24. I've been drinking those things since I was 18. Well technically, 6. My grandma thought it was okay to give us 7 and 7's back then. This explains why my parents think my grandma is nuts, and why I like to drink so much.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Chef, after seeing what you do with beer, I just had to bring back this thread you started about wine. Sorry..

You made a purchase:

So, knowing absolutely NADA about wine, I trudge into the liquor store, and say, "Hey, bitch........gimme some wine!"

So, she picks out 4 4 liter bottles of Carlo Rossi......A Sangria, Blush, Paisano, and ...........uh...Chablis.

So, as of now, I am about 1/3 of the way through the Sangria, and it's pretty damn tasty........my question is......

Is Sangria or Paisano the better to keep chilled?

There were replies:

Who was that liquor store employee? A bag lady from Tulsa?

Christ, get some good advice next time. Carlos Rossi? That's just grape-flavored piss.

I understand Thunderbird is a good wine.

Ummmmm....with those wines, be prepared for one hell of a hang over (of Boone's Farm proportions) tommorrow morning

That's some nasty shit

Did you have a budget of 12 dollars or something?

The next morning is on page three.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/36455/

I hope you feel better today than after your wine excursion 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted