1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your odd childhood fears

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Firetrucks. I always thought they brought the fire. Now, I realize that is Kevin Rudolf's job.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Makes two of us. Was afraid of stinging insects as a kid and am still scared of them as an adult and father.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I forgot to mention the Thriller video, specifically the freeze frame at the end when he's wearing cat eye contacts.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Heights, really bad as a kid, mostly over it now.

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Might sound Kramer-ish, but I was always afraid of clowns, Still don't like them. I enjoyed going to the circus as a kid for the animals and acrobats, but would hide behind my dad when the clowns came out.
    I agree with the fear of Willie Wonka, those Oompa-Loompas (sp) are terrifying.

Now the thing I'm most afraid of are giant cockroaches or Palmetto bugs or whatever they're called, and since I live in the South, there's no shortage. I'm on constant alert, knowing any second one of those things could perhaps crawl on me, which would certainly kill me through panic alone.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The buzzers on Ford products from the late 70s-early 80s. I trace this back specifically to a time when I was about 4 and my aunt left me in her Ford for about a 2-3 minute stretch with the keys in the ignition, the door open and thus the buzzer droning incessantly as the perfect counterpoint to Debbie Boone bleating "You Light Up My Life" on the radio.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't remember my fear as a kid, but I have plenty of them now that others find odd.

In no order:

frogs
    bridges
    thunderstorms
    open-air heights
    falling
    roller coasters
    snakes
    bees/wasps/hornets/whatever
    hospitals

8. pallister

pallister Guest

There's not enough space on the Internet for me to get started on this thread.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wish I had known about the last one, I would've used it to my advantage. Instead, I just decided to chase you with a knife. Just as well.

As revenge and because I'm no longer a psychopath, I should let Z-Man tell the tale about my stupid childhood fear, even though he was too young to remember when I was truly petrified by ...

The Smiley Barn!

[​IMG]

This isn't it, but it was like this, only the real Smiley Barn was much, much more evil. Had a demonic quality to its kind, friendly, barn-art exterior.

I was also afraid of fireworks, which was a problem given that we lived on the other side of the freeway from one of Milwaukee's largest parks. Cowered under a recliner was my early Fourth of July tradition.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You want odd? I've got your odd, alright. When I was very young, my parents took me to the county fair, where there was a kiddy parade. Up walks a dude wearing a big old H.R. Puffenstuff costume, and my parents thought it would be cute to have a picture of him holding me.
    [​IMG]
    The pic is priceless. H.R. Puffenstuff holding a kid that looks like he's just been submitted to Nazi torture. Wish I had a copy. I'd post it. Anyway, I'm told every time that show came on for the next few years, they had to change the channel -- quick -- or I'd go into hysterics.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I can't pass this one up. I was scared of fireworks and pretty much all loud noises as a kid. My dad, then a fireman, used to put on extensive fireworks shows each Fourth of July in our back yard. Complete with partial sticks of dynamite. I spent every one of those nights sequestered in the basement. Every once in a while throughout the night, a family member would come in and check on me. Also, in that very basement, there was a hole in the ceiling from a night of revelry that involved my older brother. That hole scared the crap out of me for some reason. So, for years, every Fourth of July, as my family enjoyed our nation's Independence Day, I hid in the basement, all the while accompanied by a hole in the wall that terrified me. Good times.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Thunderstorms are awesome for...activities.

Draft saved Draft deleted