1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your odd childhood fears

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Everybody had 'em as a child, fears that would make others scratch their heads. For me, it was a fear of being lost while driving through East St. Louis. My mom would frequently point out stories in the paper about bad things happening in East St. Louis and would say, "You sure don't want to get lost while driving through East St. Louis!" So whenever we'd cross the Mississippi into Illinois, I'd slump down in the back seat a bit, even if we were nowhere near East St. Louis.

I guess there are explanations for that fear. My fear of test patterns? Not so much.

Your turn.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dogs and snakes. I'm well over the doggy fear though. It just took a while after watching my friend get chewed up and have to get stitches. As for snakes -- keep them fucking things away. Any and all of them.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

THERE'S FUCKING SNAKES ON THIS FUCKING THREAD!

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Bees, my grandparents' dungeon-like basement (it still kind of gives me the creeps), and the undead sea captain played by Richard Kiel in the early 80s HBO staple/Hudson Brothers vehicle "Hysterical!"

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. Flying Headbutt

I don't even like seeing them on TV. I am sick of these mother fucking snakes, in this mother fucking world!

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The witch from The Wizard of Oz.

Still creeps me out, plenty.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fantasy Island. There was always one creepy fantasy with eerie music that scared the heck out of me.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was always freaked out by films that mix animation and live action. Very strange but just creeps me out for some reason.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My childhood home had one of those three-foot by three-foot green power boxes in the front yard. I'm not entirely sure what it did, but when you got close enough, you could hear it hum. It was locked shut in the front and occasionally checked by the power company, and they'd open it up on a rare occasion.

Anyway, to convince children not to play near it, the front had a label with a sketch of a giant ball of electricity - lightning bolt arms and legs and a giant growl - reaching out and "shocking" a kid nearby.

The image of "Mr. Electricity" just downright haunted me until the age of 12 or so. The fears were incredibly irrational, too. For example, I thought that if I fell asleep with my head turned to the window and didn't lay completely flat, "Mr. Electricity" would come through the window with his pals and get me.

Other great sources of fright when I was a kid included an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" where kids were playing in their closet and disappeared, never to be found again, and the scene where Large Marge goes psycho in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure."

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So this would bother you then?

[img height=140 width=100]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/12/IndiaSnakeEPA_468x659.jpg[/img]

12. Flying Headbutt

DTGDTN!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted