1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your newsroom atmosphere

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Nov 24, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

What's it like?
    I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find anything directly addressing my question.

Our newsroom, at least among us deskers, is very divided.
    I'd say it's divided to the point where if I were choking on a pretzel, unless the guy who sits next to me were working, I'm not so sure someone on slot would help me from suffocating.
    On Thursday we sat here alone for 2 1/2 hours while the slot crew ate Turkey together. They didn't have to invite us, but they also didn't have to make it be known that they were having dinner that we weren't invited to.
    Is there anything I can do?
    I know a guy who used to work on the desk here and he said it's been going on for a while.
    Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation?
    Would it be worth it to bring my concern to HR?

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

At my last couple of shops, we were all like family. Everyone got along, did drinking together. Still get together when people make it in town.
    At my current gig, it kinda sucks. No gatherings. Little interaction. People come in to work and it's just a job where they would prefer to work in silence than deal with other people.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

About 71 degrees, with a bit of a draft from the A/C. :)

In all seriousness (though one of them who lurks here can contradict me), our guys seem to be pretty close. Good communication, lively atmosphere, etc. We aren't drinking buddies, per se, but we all get along and get the job done.

rb

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's a pretty close newsroom. Everyone gets along with everyone else, although there are times when sports is relegated to second-class status. Whenever a longtime newssider leaves (or a summer news intern) there will be a cake or some kind of "farewell/goodbye" celebration in the newsroom. We don't get interns in sports, but the last time a 10-year veteran of the sports department left, there was nothing - no newsroom farewell celebration/cake - no nothing. Most newssiders didn't know he had left and asked "Where has he been for the last few weeks?" shortly after he left.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the most chill newsroom i've ever worked in. i think it's a true reflection on the editor. i haven't heard a single oh my god-type response since i've been there. it's a nice change.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Part of the problem here, I think, is the number of layoffs recently.
    Apparently the editor says the company is finished laying off people, but still the atmosphere stays ice cold on most days...Which is exactly the opposite of my last place where we were such a tiny place so everyone knew everyone.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

wow! you all do farewell celebrations? Can't remember the last time we did that for anyone.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Our sports department has a great atmosphere, lots of give and take and fun and laughter, though I don't think many of us hang out off the clock. There are 3-4 who hang out with each other and go to games, but most of us work and then leave.

We are, however, very separate from news. I talk to lots of people over there, but there's very little actual mingling...our departments are physically separate.

9. EStreetJoe

They do 'em for newsies, but us sports folks don't get 'em.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe the sports folks should do them for sports folk?

11. EStreetJoe

We don't make a big production in the office. We usually do a farewell lunch a day or two after the last day or go out for drinks after the final shift, but that's about it.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We're one big family. And, by that, I mean there is plenty of fighting, bickering and back-talking. But we love each other anyways.

Draft saved Draft deleted