1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your new No. 1-ranked HS hoops team...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

O.J. Mayo, the nation's top senior, returns to his hometown to play on a prep team that already has three high-level D-I prospects.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060829/SPORTS02/60829011

I only mention this because I grew up in Huntington, and I can't believe how good this team is going to be.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sydney Dean and Billy Hoyle would make the team complete.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Isn't this OJ Mayo's third (at least) HS team?

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is he arbitration eligible yet?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Damn close.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

mayo played in kentucky as an 8th grader, and apparently in that state you can play varsity in 8th grade. he then went to north college hill as a freshman, played three years there and will now be leaving it. so it's his second high school, third high school team

7. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

Anyone else get the feeling this kid is destined for a Maurice Clarett-type of fall?

His professional prospects are much better than Clarett's, but with all the hype and handlers and garbage Mayo has been dealing with for years, I can't help but think it will hurt him in the end. Pat Forde wrote a great story about Mayo a couple years ago, where he chronicled the difficulty he had trying to get through all of Mayo's handlers to score an interview — which never happened.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly. And going to USC isn't going to help with avoiding distractions.

9. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

Mayo will go to the highest bidder. For a year.

10. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

What, you mean he isn't going to my alma mater, Georgia State?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

By USC, do you mean Southern Cal or South Carolina?

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

USC is Trojan USC. And yes, I can totally see the Clarrett parallels with Mayo. He just seems different from, say, LeBron, even though both have been touted as the greatest since they were in middle school. Something about Mayo just seems to indicate that he won't pan out the way LeBron has.

Draft saved Draft deleted