1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your New American Idol Judge...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

That's it. The Gay Army has been offended:
    "Who gives a shit whether Ellen knows music. She's one of us and byyyyyy Obaaaaaaaaaaaama, you better not say anything against her or you're a BIGOT!"

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You live a very sad life. It's American Idol for fuck sakes.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I find the fatigues in the Gay Army a little too form fitting for my extra girth.

That being said I think Ellen is a good choice and it has nothing to do with her orientation. On TV she comes across as genuine and insightful, I find her funny as well.

I don't know where this got turned into a gay issue?

4. ScribePharisee

Sad lives are the ones like diabeetus who was offended that we would dare criticize the choice of Ellen, which wasn't because she was gay but unlike any of the other judges, totally disconnected from the industry other than to invite them on her show and be a viewer. You can't say anything about any gay on any subject in any venue that's deemed as negative without calling some members of the Gay Army to arms. The Elton John comment flew right over them. My guess is because Elton isn't an "in your face" representative like Ellen is.

5. ScribePharisee

Insightful for "Last Comic Standing" since that's her profession.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

You could also say her profession is entertainer which Idol is all about as well.

I don't care either way but I just find it funny that the "merits" of an Idol judge are being debated.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Again, you must live a sad life.

You are the one that brought Ellen's sexual preference into this discussion, if you think she's a bad hire fine, but why bring up that they may have hired her because she's gay. You think they may just have hired her because she has an extremely popular talk show? It's a fucking reality show that people take way to seriously.

8. ScribePharisee

Because...if you recall, she got into the commentary on Nigel Lythgoe's criticism of two men doing a romantic dance on "So You Think You Can Dance," telling the men that if he let them through it would alienate most of the audience. This offended gays who spoke out the following day. Ellen wound up being a guest on the show and I'm sure, in a low key way, this was all about bridging the gap allegedly caused by Lythgoe's remarks (we all know you can't apologize enough to some of these offended )- and for those who do not know, Lythgoe runs American Idol.

This has all the makings of an olive branch.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You were the one to bring that up, too. Fucking idiot.

10. ScribePharisee

So that's bigoted?

Read this carefully:
    Elton John is gay. He's qualified. She's not.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

In addition to being oblivious, you also lack reading comprehension.

I never said we shouldn't criticize her because she was gay. I said that her sexuality had nothing to do with her merits as a judge. Of course you also had your batshit crazy conspiracy theories, so who knows why I'm actually trying to discuss it with you.

12. ScribePharisee

You got defensive because I mentioned she was gay.

With you it takes reading between the lines but your motives are clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted