1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your New AJC -- Nothing That Will Piss You Off.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 20, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Based on Dixie and Shifty posted - and I believe their analysis - then the AJC should just save itself a lot of trouble and shut it down. When a paper starts chasing readers by catering to their political beliefs, it's over.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dixie has a point but this isn't 1809 or 1909 or 1999. It's 2009 and things have changed. No body truly gives a damn what Cynthia Tucker or anyone at the AJC think. People can make up their own minds. As for Georgia politics, it's been a joke and as long as people care to think about yesteryear instead of today and tomorrow, it will remain as such.
    Shifty's observation is right on and ther are a few more areas that he didn't name. There was a time when the AJC saturation point reached down to North Florida. Those days are gone forever.
    Gwinnett and Cobb's not wanting MARTA (also known as Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta) is a major reason why traffic is awful and those counties are a bit behind many areas of the country in terms of race relations. I've often thought of the ATL as being like a clone, a body with no soul.
    I don't know what the AJC will be in the next 10 years. By the way things are going, its shelf life may not last five years. And that's very sad for a paper that has such a rich history in journalism.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, you get that on the comments sections of sports stories at times.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I had this discussion with my brother the other night, who is by his own admission an unrepentant Luddite. He likes having a newspaper to read. We discussed the rise and fall of the AJC empire and he pointed to its liberal bias.
    Though I do not agree with Ms. Tucker or Mr. Bookman on, well, anything, their op-ed pages don't bother me in the least. You ask any Billy Bulldog on Saturday morning who the fuck Cynthia Tucker is and I bet most won't have a clue and won't care.
    I've been reading the AJC for 30 years and the two things I have talked to most people about over that time is football coverage and Lewis Grizzard. I still think that Georgia coverage is their No. 1 attraction (unless proven otherwise.)
    I don't put any stock into its liberal bias costing it readers over the years. Maybe the tilt toward celebrity bullshit over the last few years hasn't helped and now that they've retreated the coverage area back to ITP, I bet they'll lose even more readers.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'd like to point on that most of the people who responded to whatever survey the AJC did will probably be dead in 10 years. So while I find the poll shortsighted, it probably revealed a truth that will apply to people who will see the end of the Obama presidency. Sometimes, the end justifies the means.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey now... I haven't yet peeled the W sticker off my car (but that's a different story)... my big beef is what they're doing with the paper rather than its political slant. God, this used to be such a good paper. What the hell are they doing to it?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dixie and the rest are right, the AJC is in a terrible position. Maybe the worst of all the metro papers in the country.
    The growth of Atlanta, the rise of the suburbs, the way the demographics are running. When you factor in some of the worst newsroom and business side management in the country, coupled with current economic crisis, you have a complete and total recipe for disaster.
    Unless something changes, the AJC is next up for dropping some daily delivery and, after that, well, things start to get a little unthinkable for a paper that just a few years back was among the best in the country.
    Furman Bisher just might outlive his employer.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Just got around to reading that BLOG! and I thought it was funny that the top of the blog now reads:

[Thanks for all the feedback. Commenting on this post has ended for now. See what others said below this note.]

In other words, we really don't give a shit about what you think, even though we said we care.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

The perfect storm?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From the department of "Who Needs Copy Editors Anyway," this guy:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/reviews/stories/2009/04/21/bluepointe_restaurant_atlanta.html?cxntlid=sldr_hm

11. God, I hope so.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Is it not "sell stupid somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"?

Draft saved Draft deleted