1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your New AJC -- Nothing That Will Piss You Off.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 20, 2009.

1. http://blogs.ajc.com/ajc/2009/04/18/get-ready-for-changes-april-28/

Oy.

2. Not sure what pissed you off, but I wanted to stand up and applaud this part:

We spent much of 2008 listening to hundreds of readers about what they want from their AJC. What we heard was gratifying. You don’t want a magazine. You don’t want a splashy tabloid. You don’t want blogs on paper. You want a newspaper.

As a lifelong Chicago Tribune subscriber, I would to be able to bring a newspaper - clean design, relevant news easy to locate on A1, etc. - in from the porch these days instead of the New York Post on broadsheet.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Gee, people who read the newspaper want a newspaper? I wonder how much it cost to do THAT survey.

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Waylon, with all due respect I think what pissed Fenian off was the unwritten part, which I have graciously added in bold now.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

We heard that you want a newsy and fast-paced newspaper during the week and you’ll get that. We heard you want a more relaxing and rewarding experience on Sunday and you’ll get that. It’s a new look, a new nameplate (one for Sunday and one for daily). You want more watchdog coverage, and we’re providing it. You want a newspaper that’s easy to scan to find the things on which you want to spend time. We’re doing that.

In the past several months, we have been slowly changing and improving the newspaper. Yes, for economic reasons, we have had to eliminate some things and tighten the paper, but we’ve also added where readers told us it was important. The next step is the overall look – it changes a week from Tuesday.

The newsroom has also changed. We have a dedicated team focused on the Sunday newspaper. We have a dedicated team focused on aggressive breaking news online. And we still have strong reporters in key beats.

As we reduced the size of the newsroom — necessary because of our challenging business realities – we thought deeply about what readers want, and we decided what would stay and what would go. We believe unique local content makes us special. Therefore, even though we reduced the staff by about 90 people, we go forward with only five fewer news reporters. We have reduced our arts reporters, but we will be building a strong stable of free-lancers who are experts in the arts, including long-time AJC writers.

TOTAL BULLSHIT. HOW CAN YOU PUT OUT A BETTER PRODUCT WITH FEWER QUALITY PEOPLE? JULIA, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT (OR SHOULD I SAY DEW RESPECT?), SELL STUPID SOMEWHERE ELSE. IT'S SOLD OUT HERE.
    -Drip

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's funny that with all the other pressures there on newspapers, the ones that readers come back to is bias (particularly liberal bias but could be bias toward a team or school, too).

And I don't know why more big papers don't have a least one right-wing nutjob frothing at the mouth on its editorial pages just to give the gripers something to read.

I am totally serious. Wouldn't be hard. We all know the drill.

7. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Every time I read one of these, the comments sections is nothing but people bitching about conservative/liberal, GOP/Democrat, blah blah blah. It's getting fucking old.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And now if you idiots don't like THAT, then you can go fuck yourselves.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's counterintuitive, but asking people what they want isn't always the best way to find out.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

John Rich said it perfectly in his new song "Shuttin' Detroit Down": "They're selling make believe and we don't buy that here."

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's true. Mostly (other than bias bitching) people will say they want more "good news." Then if you ask them specific positive stories that were in the paper, they can't remember them at all.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Probalby enough to have kept a job or two in the newsroom ....

Draft saved Draft deleted