1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most worthless class?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Oct 10, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Preach it brother (or sister!) Ace!

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Instead of joining the peace corps, I went into journalism. Pay is about the same.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wait ... you get paid?

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Math through high school, journalism through college. Should have just majored in English and psych while working at the school paper, because I learned everything I needed to know about newspapers at the school paper and in my first gig after college.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

1. Comparative Religion -- I simply got nothing out of this class, except one of the easiest A's I've ever gotten.
    2. Any math class -- My declared major was journalism. Why the hell did I have to waste time/money on math classes.
    3. Sociology -- Teacher was cool, but I couldn't pass the fucking class for anything. Luckily he let me drop it a few days after the deadline to do so.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

every single class i took in grad school. didn't teach me one damn thing about practical journalism.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Astronomy in college.
    Art history in high school.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Same here. I was one of a handful in my program who had ever worked in the industry, and wanted to just bash my head into a wall many, many times because of people studying journalism who obviously knew nothing about it.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

accounting 101

10. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Every education class I ever took en route to my teaching degree. None of them had a damn thing to do the real world of teaching, especially the one that said to break up a fight between students just step between them. They won't hit a teacher. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My experience was the same, with the exception of one class. On the first day the prof told us we weren't going to be following the standard curriculum and instead he was going to teach us stuff we actually needed to know. Fortunately, he was right. Including the best ways to break up fights and not get hit yourself. :)

12. Currently in a Cultural Anthropology class that makes me want to commit suicide twice a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted