1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most worthless class?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If I hadn't taken it, I'd still be in college. It was, sadly, a requirement.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Uh, no. And my major was pretty much a sausage-hang. Graduated with three girls:

1. Barbara the Hutt.
    2. Plain but cute girl who was super quiet. Probably coulda cleaned up real nice, but never saw any form of makeup within 20 feet of her unless ...
    3. Holy Roller w/Too Much Eye Makeup was around. She was actually pretty fun and would hang out at a kegger but never drink. Big bombs, but never let anybody get beyond friend zone from what I saw.

I didn't always think it was a lot of fun, but I did take four semesters of calculus and another two of differential equations, none of which I use today. The math skills I use most were honed in the Navy where we had to quickly figure out percentages, ratios and other stuff in our heads.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

1. Jazz Appreciation
    2. Art History
    3. Anything math-related
    4. Logic

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty much my entire journalism curriculum. ::) ::)

Then again, both my parents were J-school honors graduates (and worked for decades in the industry), so I learned more about journalism sitting around the kitchen table by the time I was 10 years old than most college students did in four years.

Took an astronomy class just as a blowoff elective; 4-pointed it without breaking a sweat. (Of course, one time when I was 13 years old, I killed four hours in the back seat of the car on a family vacation by calculating the orbital trajectory of a geosychronous satellite on pad and paper, just for fun.)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Jogging class. All it did was make me get up at 7 a.m. twice a week.

I also had a poetry class that was at 7 a.m. and it was hard for me to skip because there was only five people in the class and I was the only guy. I still managed to only go half the time. I think that professor was crazy since he didn't seem to notice I was never there.

I liked astronomy. I didn't do very well at the math part of it, but I liked the field trips and going out in the middle of nowhere and looking at the stars.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's reputable! [/mrandmrssmith]

Seriously, I loved my art history/appreciation class. One of the cooler field trips I've ever taken in school was to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. That class is what helped convince me to make a trip to the Getty when I made it out to SoCal -- and if nothing else, it loses any worthlessness for that alone.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I really don't use anything I've learned on a daily basis. Not match, not English (first lesson of Journalism: forget everything you learned in English), not even my journalism classes.

I wasted 17 years of schooling.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This was half the reason I didn't earn a minor in business. I took finance, econ (useless class if there ever was one), management and marketing. I was three classes from a minor and one of those was probability and statistics of which calculus was a prerequisite. Considering I didn't get past six weeks of Algebra II in high school, I would have lasted 30 seconds in this class.

The other two classes were Accounting 201 and 202. I wouldn't have been able to stay awake long enough to get through either one of those. Frankly, I can't fathom why anyone would become an accountant.

As far as useless, probably logic (which fulfilled my math requirement), along with geology, which I was smart enough to take as my hard-science requirement. I heard the horror stories about astronomy, not to mention which I knew it was a 4-unit class for a reason.

I didn't mind art history or literature... helped for Jeopardy ;D

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, it would a total infinitely approaching 95 or 100 percent, but never quite reaching a whole number.

When the first thing I heard in calculus was that whole numbers don't truly exist, that's when I knew I was in trouble.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Remedial Potions :D

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was that Professor Snape?

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Music Appreciation. I got an "A" in it even though the only thing I remember ever learning from it was what a movement is.

The only reason it wasn't the only grade I ever finished with lower than a "C" was because I had a SUPER generous grader for a teacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted