1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most worthless class?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Russian History.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Intermediate Bowling.

I should have just gone straight from beginning to advanced.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

History of comic book art. I'd add Billiards, but a buddy and I were a pretty good team in the bars that semester which helped pay for a lot of Bud Lite.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Being able to tell when someone is lying to you is a pretty useful skill.

I'd say health for high school. Thanks, Coach, I already knew I should brush my teeth and take a bath at times.

College, English Lit I was my most hated class. Screw you, Beowulf!

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Astrodynamics I and Astrodynamics II.

6. "The Concerto" was even more worthless than "History And Coaching Of Basketball."

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I will have to add another in Music Theory.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I had a fair number of technically worthless classes, although I always seemed to get at least one practical nugget out of them:

Social Problems -- I learned from my professor that high-heeled shoes were the male's way of telling females, "You can't run away."

History of Afro-American Sport -- The best thing I learned is the nexus where budding pro athletes and budding pro sportswriters meet for an easy grade.

Basketball -- My basketball prof, Tates Locke, taught that you're better off putting more force on your shot because 90 percent of shots were short. He must have have been looking at my shot specifically. Oh, also, he taught us how to pay off a recruit's family to get him to Clemson.

9. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Took three semesters of Latin in college. I have a horrible block when it comes to learning languages. I had already crapped out of high school French and college Spanish just destroyed my GPA (two 5 hour courses - got a C in one and a gift D in the second).
    All I remember about Latin is that I got B's in the first two courses and I passed the third.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your basketball prof was a cheater who gave Bob Knight his start. Two thumbs down!

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I learned nothing in Calculus -- it was the first time I ever sat in a classroom utterly stumped and uncomprehending -- but since it was required for my business major, my inability to learn it at least forced me to give up the business pipe dream and try journalism.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Intro to Journalism: When I took my internship, the first thing I was told was to forget everything they taught me in Journalism class.

Now, the most fun, but useless class I ever took was Organized Crime. I took it in my final semester, and since I already had to take 12 hours (full time) to graduate, I threw that one in with the intention of dropping it at the deadline if it was too much work. I loved it. We studied Goodfellas and the first two Godfather movies in depth (what was realistic, what wasn't, etc.). If it was earlier in my college education, I might have changed majors.

Draft saved Draft deleted