1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most hated bands/groups

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Shitfuck's was better.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The B-52s ... well, actually, one member of their band: Fred what's-his-name. His annoying voice is like nails on a chalkboard; when it's just the ladies singing (as on "Roam"), they sound great.

Plus, it seems like any radio station with an "80s" format plays "Love Shack" once an hour. Ugh.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts on this:

• There are a whole lot of people in this thread -- and in general -- who will proclaim their hatred for artists for reasons that have nothing to do with the music. Mostly, they think it will sound cool. That's weird to me, but whatever.
    • I'm absolutely a Springsteen fan, but not a Springsteen Super Fan. One thing I've noticed about the Super Fans: they're very often not really music fans, and frequently don't really even know Springsteen's music very well. Once heard a Super Fan with like 80-something Bruce concerts on her resume get absolutely stumped by the opening of "She's the One." She had no idea what it was until the vocals kicked in.
    • I used to be one of those who would try to define my tastes (and my coolness) in terms of stuff I hated. Once I actually listened to some of the stuff I "hated," I frequently discovered I liked it. A lot.
    • There are plenty of bands I don't particularly like, or find their popularity mystifying. Arcade Fire does nothing for me. Most of the "genius" works by Radiohead just seem tedious to me. But hate? Hate is a pretty short list for me.
    • (The short list: Foreigner, Steve Miller, and the fucking Eagles.)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like we've come to a general consensus on at least one thing at SJ.com:

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Except for Seven Bridges Road. That can stay.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My wife and I were just talking about how ridiculously overrated Fleetwood Mac is.

7. PCLoadLetter

Fleetwood Mac is one of those acts that inexplicably crossed over to people who don't care about music. They're the late 70s version of Adele.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac is quite good.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

As with too many other bands, Fleetwood Mac is cursed by the fact that their biggest hits are their worst songs.

10. PCLoadLetter

McCartney Syndrome.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Beyoncé
    The Eagles
    Bieber
    Almost all country music
    I never thought I'd say this bc they used to be my favorite band, but I think I've heard enough Led Zeppelin to last a lifetime

jpetrie18 likes this.
  12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The fans can be a bit much--OMG, Trey melted my face during that 30 minute Tweezer!!!*--but I love both these bands,** and think they often get a bad rap simply because people don't like the whole scene around them. In some sense they're incredibly underrated for that reason, even though they're probably a bit overrated by those that worship them.

Also, cross-thread: Analyze Phish is a hilarious podcast, and Harris Wittles's death was real tragedy.

* Trey is a great guitarist, though!***
    **Even though contrary to popular belief they're not all that similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted