1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your life list, non-sportswriting version

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 18, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awesome, since, you know, there's NO WAY you would have gone with him if he didn't have you at gunpoint.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This thread depresses me. I haven't done shit.

:(

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's what depresses me, buck.

There's nothing I want to do. Not like this stuff, or anything that matters.

4. You brighten lives in your own unique little way.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Some responses have inspired me to remember...

-- finished high school as quite possibly the only athlete anywhere on earth to score more points in football than basketball and track, combined. I scored a TD by recovering a blocked punt in the end zone at old Centennial League foe Stroudsburg (Pa.) HS; in two years of hoops, I managed one basket; in four years of track, I contributed one team point (hey, we had a lot of good javelin and discus throwers... I was not one of them).
    -- been to a Presidential inauguration (thanks, Mrs. Hustle)
    -- have a photo with two U.S. Senators (one now the current majority leader) and met two U.S. Reps (thanks Mrs. Hustle, for three of them anyway)
    -- talked to one of said Senators while drunk of my ass (hey, we all were) (thanks, Mrs. Hustle)
    -- state list numbers 26 total; strangely, there's a large void between everything west of Illinois and east Idaho/Arizona
    -- played four years of small-college football; earned two varsity letters for my hard work on the scout team and the right to get a tattoo with our logo and my jersey number (78)
    -- halfway appeared in an AP photo with Frank Beamer at RIR
    -- gambled in Atlantic City, Las Vegas (OK, McCarran) and, perhaps most notably, Charles Town, W.Va.

That's about all. Not too shabby.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Actually, he coaxed my mother into getting into his car with me via pulling out a gun and threatening to use it. But I was really what he was after. Lucky me. It's nice to be wanted.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm missing ...
    Maine
    Wisconsin
    Kansas
    Nebraska
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    Wyoming
    Alaska
    Hawaii

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Wow. Never been to Florida but been to 46 other states? Unreal.

Come to the O.B., we'll go to the Florabama, you can step across the state line and buy a Florida Lottery ticket, then drinks are on me the rest of the evening/next morning at the world's greatest bar.

Or maybe someone can organize a Alabama/Florida SportsJournalists.com beach outing.

9. joe

joe Active Member

- 34 states; sex in nine, plus D.C.
    - scored my only goal in my first soccer game (fifth grade)
    - scored 21 points in a basketball game (eighth grade)
    - drank in all 34 states (and way too much in D.C)
    - interviewed David Cone as he sipped a bottle of Rolling Rock
    - jumped off a cliff, and have the picture (and Christmas card) to prove it
    - won $600 one night playing blackjack at Binions
    - have made two best friends, who would do anything for me, as I would for them
    - saw a whale off the Lincoln City, Oregon, coast
    - had my heart broken twice
    - broke two hearts, and bruised another
    - hiked to a lookout point where I could see Hood, Jeffeson, Adams, St. Helens and Rainer on a clear early-spring day. We were gloriously alone.
    - East to west: Fenway, Wrigley, Commiskey, Busch II, Busch III, Kauffman, Coors, Angels, whatever they're calling where the Giants play
    - buried my father when I was 31
    - drove 120 with the top down late at night in the Illinois countryside grid
    - learned more about myself in the last two years than in all the other 36 combined

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

-Made key defensive play to help win city little league title
    -Saw a great portion of the US on a bus ride at 14
    -Developed a friendship with a former Soviet soccer referee
    -Taught myself how to play guitar
    -Witnessed the remaining members of the MC5 play a concert
    -Saw Once Upon a Time in Weston the big screen
    -Interviewed Judas Priest backstage
    -Witnessed the beauty of Ronaldinho during an FC Barcelona match
    -Sang my ass off in the Sam's Army in a key World Cup qualifier vs. Mexico
    -Was thanked in rock album credits many times
    -Got thrown out of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
    -Broke free from the church

11. azom

azom Member

My list, as best as I can put it:
    --24 states, including everything west of the North Dakota-to-Texas stretch of states (not counting AK and HI), and Maryland and Virginia
    --took two trips up the Oregon coast, both before kindergarten
    --got nine stitches in my forehead after crashing through an aquarium at age 5
    --broke the only bone I've ever broken in my life, my left pinkie, playing football on the playground in fourth grade
    --cried for a week when my dog died when I was 11
    --hit an inside-the-park home run in Little League
    --went to Disneyland
    --caught the game-winning touchdown in overtime in seventh grade, breaking a five-year losing streak at my junior high
    --won my state's Geography Bee in eighth grade and placed eighth at nationals. Got to be on national TV with Alex Trebek moderating the final round.
    --led my high school basketball team in assists three straight years... all the while, playing for my dad, who was my coach
    --broke a heart
    --built a complete set of 1987 Topps baseball
    --came up one card short of a complete set of 1991 Pro Set football
    --high school valedictorian
    --got depressed
    --got Prozac
    --got better
    --changed my major from architecture to journalism after a semester on the student paper
    --played on a champion intramural flag football team
    --lived in a pickup camper for nine months
    --borrowed vinyl copies of both the White Album and Abbey Road from my dad and never gave them back
    --graduated college
    --got hired at three jobs, had the guts to quit my first two and then got my dream job
    --driven about 99 percent of Wyoming state highways (no exaggeration, I'm trying to get 100 percent)
    --saw System of a Down in concert
    --didn't get discouraged when the first time I met my future wife, she was shutting a door in my face
    --watched my grandfather-in-law take his last breath
    --got married (7-7-07, sweet)
    --went on a honeymoon trip up the California coast

Check back in five years.

12. I've seen Hard Boiled on the big screen 14 times
    Out of the Past nine times on the big screen
    Cache five times
    Saw a brand new print of Once Upon a Time in the West as opening night of a Sergio Leone festival in Seattle.
    Saw the first U.S. screening of the three part, 5 1/2 hour version of Wim Wenders Until the End of the World. Had lunch with Wim two days later.
    Went to a Nicolas Roeg festival in which he was in attendance. He brought Mrs. Roeg--Theresa Russell--along. During a break between films I stepped outside to smoke. Theresa bummed a light off me and we talked film geeky stuff while we smoked. I asked her about her experience filming Ken Russell's Whore. She delivered her response in the same speech style as her character in that film. Good times!
    Spent about an hour talking about Ennio Morricone soundtracks with John Zorn after a Masada show.
    Smooched Gwen Stefani when No Doubt performed on the same bill as the Toadies in 1995. Months earlier I had assisted the Toadies in throwing banana chunks at Ms. Stefani's future husband.
    The Stooges began recording Funhouse on the day I was born.
    My mother considers my birth to be my first act of rebellion [she was looking forward to celebrating her first Mother's Day. I was born the day after.]
    I watched The Rocketeer with Gunnar Hansen [Leatherface in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre].
    Rob Zombie played Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time at my apartment.
    In 2000 attended Dale Earnhardt's final victory, Dale Jr's first Cup victory, and Adam Petty's only Cup start.
    Met Jeanette Winterson about ten years ago.
    Was on the Jesus Lizard's permanent guest list.
    I'm an honorary member of Gwar.
    I'm the sixth Supersucker.
    Once I was in a room with Eddie Vedder, Jakob Dylan, and Sean Lennon.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Draft saved Draft deleted