1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your kids' homework

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sporting_guista, Sep 11, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Reading this struck a chord. It's been going on longer than many think.

When I was in second grade -- we're talking (gasp) around 1965 -- in Newburgh, N.Y., our school district decided it was going to try something called ITA. But only with some of the kids.

It was phonetic spelling. The kids were taught to spell "function" as "funkshn." And "Nu York." The idea, I guess, was to get the kids comfortable with reading, and then teach them how to do it right later. They had all these kids' textbooks in "ITA English," and parents were discouraged from letting their children read books with the CORRECT spelling.

Believe it.

The results were what you might expect. By third grade, the kids who were spared from ITA (thankfully, me among them) were picking up spelling and grammar quite well. The ITA kids were funkshnally illiterate.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hmmm ... sounds like a certain SportsJournalists.com poster.

3. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Well, like, at least your child isn't, like, writing like this. If, like, there are, then you should be like, "Son, stop, like, writing sooooo, like, improper."

4. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

im srry, but i had 2 jus post agen. i luv sj. its da best :).......u no...ur subpost 2 cum ova 2nite.

[ LET'S NOT FORGET THOSE CRAZY, ANNOYING ANIMATED ICONS :mad: ]

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Kids homework? Try some journalists! :eek:

I've had to edit a couple who can really throw some serious garbage in a story. Given our deadlines, we're lucky to have time to do meatball surgery instead of meticulously pulling the damn thing apart and carefully putting it back together.

Back to topic: I always found it fascinating that I went to a school where the English instructors gave me terrible grades, while the other subject instructors never had much problem with what I wrote.

It turns out that my lack of agreement with the English instructors' points of view was costing me grades. I went and got some English credits elsewhere, and in summary the instructors - who were there for that single purpose - didn't see what the problem was. In other words, it wasn't a bitter grad assistant or two taking it out on me.

The terrible spelling always bothers me, but I would have a difficult time teaching a bad speller to improve. I was one of the lucky ones that always understood spelling. I never had to learn it as a skill. (if only other rudiments of life were as easy to me ... :-\)

I don't expect people in other fields to be clear, concise writers who know exactly how to drive a point home with a few paragraphs or a well-constructed collection of paragraphs. But the number of people who are considered fairly intelligent that have problems with simple grammar and basic English is astounding.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Newsweek's cover story is on how "tough" first grade (and, subsequently, all of elementary school) has gotten. It's a good read, especially for people who don't have kids or young kids. The first of the Baby Einstein generation has reached school age, and it's sickening.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Canadian studies have shown that first grade is the three hardest years of a Newfie's life. :eek: ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted