1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your inviolable rules of writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3OctaveFart, Sep 4, 2012.

1. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

This.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Few things irritate me more than reading that someone is a "rising" junior . . .

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

- Don't worry too much about every story. You'll have another chance tomorrow, so whatever.
    - If a source doesn't call you back, write around them. It's their fault they don't get to be heard.
    - If you're missing a crucial piece of information, simply ignore it. Not your fault. Editor asks for it, THEN pursue it.
    - Write as quickly as you can. Check for typos, but most other things are what the editing process is for.
    - Remember, the public doesn't really understand good journalism. At the high school and small college level, anything you write will be hailed by the people you write about and their loved ones. At the pro level, they'll seldom care about what you write anyway.
    - So ultimately, don't allow writing to stress you out. Life's just too short.
    - And always remember: you'll have another chance to get it right tomorrow. That's the beauty of regular journalism.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ignoring the outside possibility that this is sarcastic (because I know people who have these attitudes) . . .

While I like the sentiment of trying to get rid of stress, much of what's listed there goes against everything I have been taught.

From my point of view:

Do your absolute best on every story. Sweat the small stuff.
    If a source doesn't call you back, call them back and email them and go to their office if necessary.
    If you are missing a critical piece of information -- find it! It's your job to get it. It's not the editor's job to tell you it's missing. Especially if you already know it.
    Your story should be the best it can be. Not just typo-free. Your job is to write it the best you can.
    Whether people care or not, as a professional, you have to satisfy yourself.
    Screw tomorrow. It's today's paper that matters.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I completely agree. Just posing the question.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I hate this, too, but I know there are parts of the country where this is a common phrase, not just in sports.

"True freshman" also annoys the heck out of me. I understand the difference between that and a "redshirt freshman," but I just do not see the need.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That no rule is inviolable.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The "would" syndrome is going to drive me batty.
    It's so rampant it's impossible to try to fix the issue at the source.
    A few years ago, I explained to one of our stringers that you are writing about something that has already happened. So, write that it happened, don't write that it "would" happen.
    He said he understood.
    But he used that freaking phrase in EVERY story he wrote the rest of the season. I reminded him every week, and he never got away from it.
    Now I see it everywhere from the top columnists to the lowliest freelancers.
    Heard one of the ESPN guys say it recently and I almost threw the remote at the TV.
    Between "would" and "as many as" ... "as soon as" ... it's driving me nutso.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Except file on time and hit your inch count.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

"Use the right word, not its second cousin."
    - Mark Twain

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Yes.
    Don't cook for free.
    And don't shit where you eat.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. No "name pun" headlines or ledes.

"Baker cooks up a win for Shitsville," "Parker parks one over the fence," etc etc.

(We have one guy who does it on every goddamn story. EVERY GODDAMN STORY.)

2. The very first score you mention in any game story MUST be the FINAL SCORE of the game in question.

I've gotten stories which go into a lengthy discussion of Turdsburg High's 6-game losing streak, then continue to list them all in order, including partial scores, quarter scores, halftime scores, etc etc etc. before getting around to revealing the score of the goddamn game the story was supposed to be about.

Draft saved Draft deleted