1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your inviolable rules of writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3OctaveFart, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've never been a desker but I always make deadline so they love me.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. The word win is not a noun. Deskers keep it alive because it fits in a one-column head.
    2. There is no such thing as "preps" any more. No one calls secondary or high schools "prep schools" unless the word "prep" is part of the school's official name. And very few have that. 99.9998 of people call them high schools. Again, prep is a word kept alive by the desk because of the aforementioned one-column fit.
    3. Agree with a previous poster that the word "just" is overused. But it's also overused even more in quotes. My pet peeve about team sports athletes: many of them could not speak a sentence unless they begin it with "Basically, we just ....." And, basically sucks too.
    4. This rule is getting broken more and more, by writers who should know better and editors who don't spot it: "Tom Brady completed passes to eight different receivers." Don't need the word different. It should be understood that he's not completing passes to Rob Gronkowski and his seven clones. Eight receivers is fine.
    5. Major pet peeve in golf. Tiger Woods doesn't miss a birdie putt. He misses a birdie-putt attempt. A putt is a birdie only if it goes in the hole. If it misses, then he has a par-putt attempt.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Its entry in the dictionary as a noun may be a contributing factor.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Hondo nailed it.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

"Try and..." is among the many things that drive me mental.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Limerick ledes are vastly overrated.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Most readers' answer to all question leads will be "I don't care."

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have searched and searched for the right exception and have not found one in at least a decade.

How about question leads?

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The passive voice is never to be used.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I generally dislike questions in stories because we should be providing answers.

11. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

"Begs the question" doesn't mean "raises the question."

12. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Be clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted