1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Indulgence?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'll add an indulgence.
    My wife and I belong to a wine club. It cost us about $200 a year. Every quarter, they send us 3 bottles of wine and usually some sort of winery swag. Also, every time we visit the winery, we get two free (paid by the membership) glasses of wine. We get by there about once a month and always get a glass of their most expensive stuff. The membership is awesome. If you lived in the neighborhood, you could actually get two free glasses of wine per day. I wished it was on my way home from work.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I’d guess Stuart.

Malo is awesome. Like really fucking awesome.

I’ve never noticed a reference to a collection, but I may have missed something. Going to google this.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I love a nice soft pair of Tiddies. Beach sandals/flip flops. Hard rubber sole topped by two or three layers of varying density foam, similar to jogging shoes. The straps are made of latex medical tubing. They're soft underfoot, wear like iron, and work well with casual shorts.

Tiddies Sandals, Inc. > Tiddies Sandals

And books. We have a lot of books. A. Lot.

Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I’ve bought exactly one e-book because it was written by a friend and not available in hard copy. I totally prefer actual books. For a story, I’ve been reading an e-version of a cookbook and I hate it.

Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I review books. Most of the galleys are in an e-format and I'm fine with it. If I want a hard copy, I'll look for it later on. Keepers are always hard copies. Same goes for cookbooks and anything to do with art or craft. Other longstanding indulgences: Movies, music, art supplies, yarn, comfy bedding.

Since the lockdown, I'm finding more and more that what I have is what I want and vice versa. My library is already ridiculously big. I have subscriptions to The Great Courses, Busuu, and Duolingo and devote the free time not devoted to writing and making things to learning. Even though these subs were acquired as very good deals last December, I did not get serious about them until late June. Learning is keeping me awake and grounded until I can get out again.

Liut, Neutral Corner and Driftwood like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Right!

I know what you mean with regard to wall space for art. If I had to name a second indulgence, after my jacket/coat fetish, it'd probably be art. Not that I have tons of it, but it was an unexpectedly acquired interest that I gained once I began cruising regularly, and, with 10 works bought while traveling, I'm already almost out of wall space and will have to be really judicious in my choices of art-buying (and the size of the pieces) from this point forward.

I, too, have certain artists that I've gotten to particularly like, and there are about three or four more specific pieces that I'd still like to purchase, despite their expense, if I ever get the chance. But I don't know. The wall space situation in my small condo is likely to make me hesitate, no matter how much I may want those works now.

But maybe that's a good thing! Right?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

this entire set in near-mint condition, published 1909. If Trump wanted a crash course in world literature, here would be a good start. It is excellent for private tutoring.

Harvard Classics - Wikipedia

I'd post a photo of my library but it would easily out me to anyone unfortunate enough to follow or have followed me on timelines.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

I'm a sucker for those and LoA books. Some of the old slipcased editions live next to mass-market paperbacks.

Library of America

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

Sorry for the serial post. Does anyone else use Librarything?

I love their Legacy Libraries feature.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oscar, they don't make books like that anymore.

I love embossing, and in a well-lit room the light plays off it to great effect.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I am in the process of collecting a complete set of John D. Macdonald's Travis McGee series. There are 21. I have a dozen. The edition I'm collecting isn't hard to come by. Even used, they just retain value, so I only buy one or two at a time.
    I have an extensive library. If it's a history or reference type work, I but actual books. I want the book on my shelf I can go back to.
    It it's the various island adventure books I read all the time, I get them on my kindle because I'm never going to read a particular one again.

OscarMadison and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A long time ago I stopped myself from collecting first editions.

I'd have bankrupted us.

OscarMadison, 3_Octave_Fart and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted