1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Indulgence?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A friend said on Facebook earlier today that she's about to acquire 3,000 more vinyl records. I have no idea where she found that collection, but she's loading them into her truck as we speak.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My kid collects popcorn buckets from Disneyland. Sigh.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Craft beer. I cannot stomach mass market swill but I do appreciate the big brewer's willingness to market what they buy up, like Leinenkugel's.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I've been buying Air Jordans lately. Got a pair of Retro 1s and 5s. Will buy more as they become available on Nike's SNKRS app as I won't pay resale price.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My wife thinks that I have too many running shoes. It’s not that I often buy them. Much to her chagrin, I just never, ever throw a pair away.

One of my fairly uncommon indulgences is axes for splitting wood. I shun the big splitting mauls for lighter, more standard axes that have the weight and balance that suits me. I’ve lurked in off-the-beaten-path little hardware stores and have bought half dozen likely candidates which I reground and honed to make them work better. I stumbled upon an antique Remington axe which will never touch a grinder because I look at more than I use it.

My biggest splurge, so far, is paying almost 200 bucks for a Granfors Bruks Swedish small splitting Axe. But, that’s the one I use most.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The truth is, postseason ain't lasting long for either one of us. Caps look like shit.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just packed two for my trip to the beach - if they're as good as I've heard, I may try to catch up to you

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Apologies if I've mentioned this before.

Not cheap, but I've been pleased with what I've ordered. The 33 1/3 remastered to 45 is quite good. YMMV, it's all in the ear of the beholder:

Dire Straits-Dire Straits-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Liberal tears.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A few things:

Fishing gear. I've bought more fishing gear that's never even been used than many people have ever used. It's an addiction that goes back most of my life. As a kid, the Sears Christmas catalog didn't hold a candle to getting the Bass Pro Shops catalog in the mail.

I pay monthly for Spotify Premium. That's what I'd consider my one real indulgence. I pay $11 a month for it, but I get far more use out of it.

Seems like it, but not ... coolers and running shoes. I have 5 RTIC coolers, but I use them all, and they all serve different purposes. I run exclusively in New Balance 990s. There are half a dozen pair around the house, but that is 6 years' worth of transition. They go from my running shoes, to my wearing shoes, to my beater shoes, to my lawn-mowing shoes, to my slopping in mud shoes, etc. When I get a new pair for actual running, the oldest pair gets tossed, and every successive pair moves down a rung. That's not an indulgence; that's just getting the most bang for your buck.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

For you vinyl junkies. Think about this...

I have a friend who owns more than 60,000 vinyl records. No, that isn't a typo. 60,000.
    He has literally bought out radio stations sight unseen. The crazy thing is he knows what he has. He has them cataloged in a computer database.
    Of course, the dude is 56 and never even been on a date with a girl, so what else does he have to do.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted