1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "I'm Old" Moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 28, 2007.

1. I think I can beat this one. I saw The Viallage People on their first tour in 1977. Gloria Gainor (sp?) was the opening act and she closed with the infamous "I Will Survive."

Oh, BTW, nobody knew the Village People were gay at the time I saw them. The 20/20 episode came out about a month to six weeks afterward. It was a horrifying realization.

2. I saw The Hues Corporation open for The Jackson 5!

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I went to one of my old college bars last week with some friends. Looking at all the pretty college girls in there I felt like a pedophile. And they were all only, at worst, 7 years younger than me. But they sure looked much younger, or made me feel that much older, or both. I don't know.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I was trying to think of a good example, and one finally came to me. Well, two actually, within the span of a week.

First, I got married, which makes you feel old in that there's more responsibility than you've ever had before. One of the bridesmaids in the wedding party was very pregnant.

A week or two later, my wife had planned to pick her up and take her to the hospital for a regular check-up, like you might expect a friend to do. But something gave the doctor pause, and they made the decision to have the baby that night.

My wife had been at the hospital with her all afternoon and into the night, and I told her I would drive over to keep her and everyone company (by then, the pregant girl's in-laws and husband had shown up).

So it was later that night, after the birthing was over and baby and mom were resting comfortably that I felt really old: The girl was Steve Largent's daughter-in-law. A guy that I used to watch on TV on Sundays as a kid was now a grandfather.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

One of the few reasons why I want the Ducks to win the Stanley Cup is because this Devils fan admires Scott Niedermayer's game so much. Of course, looking in the Stanley Cup Finals program shows me that I'm FIVE years older than him and he's currently sporting a grayish playoff beard! If he's old at 33, how old am I? Ugh.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I grew up watching George Brett and wanting to do everything he did on the field, especially when it came to turning singles into doubles and those things.
    Then he retired ....
    Then he went into the Hall of Fame ...
    How could that be?
    Then my oldest went to college and my youngest started to drive ....
    Now I'm about to celebrate 20 years of marriage ...
    How can that be?

I'm still just 28

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't lean over to pick up a quarter the other day.

8. Twenty years of marriage and you are just 28? So you got married about the age of 8? Who would have thunk it.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

AT 25: When I realized that my dentist was the same age as me.

AT 25: When I started my undergrad (financial issues held me back) and realized that all my colleagues were 18.

Completing my Masters and starting my professional career and realizing that my colleagues were still 7 years younger.

Meeting JR's teenage boys and then having a "when we were that age" conversation.

How I survive ... by knowing that every day I'll wake up next to the man I love and realize that I'm still 10 years younger than him, at least. :D

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outing alert: Bill Horton is Jose Lima

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I always tell people to watch out when they see these machines. No good ever comes of it for anyone over the age of about 16. Think about it: People lining up to see how hard they can throw a baseball without so much as a warm-up toss.

It's a cute ballpark diversion for kids but a fast track to injury for adults.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I realised that when I was finishing university, you were still in what, kindergarten? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted