1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "I'm Old" Moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 28, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

When the ex-boy toy told me he didn't really remember Kurt Cobain's suicide because he was only 8 when it happened.

I've moved on to dating men closer to my age.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

LOL

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've had tons of them. The latest came when I read an in-house e-mail asking for suggestions for our package on the 30th anniversary of Star Wars.

Thirty years? How the hell did that happen?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When the girl at work told me I had some string in my hair, after trying brush it out, she said it was still there, then she took a closer look.
    Yep, it was gray hair. That was five years ago.
    Closer to the present, I was flirting with a girl at a function a couple of weeks ago and she told me my salt and pepper made me look distinguished, just like her dad.
    The yesterday I realized that I don't know if I can handle drinking heavily three nights in a row for a wedding I'm going to this week. And to pack advil for the flight since my back will be sore if I don't.

5. When gas reached 5 times what it was when I was a kid (60 cents).

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

When the prosecutor said: "We're trying you as an adult."

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

High school kids I covered when I first moved to Microville are now all turning 40, have families, have gained weight and lost hair.

If they're getting old ...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've had plenty... I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and was talking to a woman at my table (it was the table with all the left over people they didn't know what to do with), and she was 10 to 15 years younger than I am. I kind of knew it, but she didn't realize it. We were talking and I mentioned something I remembered from when I was a kid (it happened in 1978), and she gave me a "damn!" look and blurted out, "How old are you?" Yeah, it was a buzzkill.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago, the lady cutting my hair, whom I'd never been to before, said that I should use one of those hair-thickening shampoos. Ouch.

Oh, and looking at the calendar and realizing that I turn 35 in a week. Hitting 30 didn't bother me at all, but 35 is a little.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Having a kid in college kind of sealed it for me.
    Oh, and not feeling bent out of shape when the lady at the haircut place calls me "sir."

11. At 33, the pains and aches I wake up with are a constant reminder.

Two recent Oh Shit moments: During MTV's recent anniversary, I heard some 20-somethings in my office talking about how they were a year-old when it started and how their parents were morons for still watching it.

Realizing last year that I've been out of college for a decade.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It has been a series of little things (I turned 27 in March):

--I found my first gray hair recently.

--I was forced to re-evaluate my dating rule. Ever since I was 20, my rule was that if they had graduated high school, I would consider dating them. I have since realized that I cannot be dating a 19-year old (thankfully, I did not have to date a 19-year old to realize that). So unless a woman is of legal drinking age, she is too young for me.

--I keep getting called mister/sir at the grocery store, Blockbuster, etc. Before it was only the ultra-polite workers who called me that. Now, everyone does.

--My youngest brother is going to be 16 soon. He has many of the same teachers I did in high school, but while high school doesn't seem like THAT long ago, it has been a decade since I roamed those halls.

--The field where I spent my youth riding a beat up old three-wheeler is now a four-lane highway.

--My mom is asking when I am going to give her grandchildren.

Draft saved Draft deleted