1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "I'm Old" Moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 28, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Okay, here's mine:

Me and 14 friends go to an MLB game for part of my bachelor party, and while we're there, drunk and full of machismo, we decide to pay the $3 for four throws in the "pitching cage," where the radar gun shows how fast you throw. We all go two or three times. And, at the end of the game, for laughs, we all decide to go a couple more times, but throw opposite hand (funny shit, by the way).

That was Saturday. It's Monday. And both my arms are killing me.

I mean, played three years college basketball, and I'm only 31, but sweet Jesus, I'm sore. I'm old.

I'm not the only one. I've fielded calls and e-mails from some of the others and they are all sore, too.

Any moments like this stand out to anyone else? Where you just say, "Man, what happened to me?"

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

People thinking Napoleon Dynamite was funny.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I was having an IM exchange with one of my best friends from high school. She was telling me about a celebration she's putting together for her "big birthday" coming up in October -- big family gathering in Hawaii, cruise, etc. I was thinking, "what big birthday?"

Did some quick math ... 2007-1967 = ... holy shit.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Had a college golfers yesterday refer to me as "Mr. TwoGloves" about four times. Finally had to tell him to use my first name.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You mean aside from my 30th high school reunion being next month? (Yes, I'm going.)

Injured myself a bit recently. Went to walk-in clinic. Nurse says blood pressure is slightly elevated, nothing major, asks when last physical was (2003), says, "You really should have one every year, you are getting up there in age."

"Are you saying I'm old?" I ask.

"I'm the same age as you," she said.

I felt like saying maybe you are, but I look younger than you, bitch.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

I played soccer Saturday -- a friendly, just to warm up for the season -- and I hurt in my right elbow, my right ankle, my left knee, and both quads. Plus I think I pulled an ab.

I have a real game tonight, too. Not thinking I'll feel too hot tomorrow.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I was painting my new condo all weekend and my lower back is killing me. I'm not going to see the first tee for a few days.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My back seized up while I was moving.

That's a helpless freaking feeling.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm not old, dammit!

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When she said "You know, you're the same age as my dad."

(Relax, she was 23. Apparently, that kinda worked for her.)

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That's great.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm 34. for me it started about three years ago when i realized that instead of feeling all nice and happy after three beers, i ended up having trouble sleeping and with a hangover the next day.

not that this is a bad problem to have but i used to be able to drink a lot more.

Draft saved Draft deleted