1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your I'm Getting Older Moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ForSaleByOwner, Jan 31, 2007.

1. First of all, I’m not old (32) and I know it.

That said, I’m driving around yesterday I pass one of my favorite college hangouts. You know, one of those great places with rock and country sides, with much drinking done on both.

I haven’t been to this place in probably 10 years, and it’s changed names 100 times since back in the day. But, always when I drive past it, I smile at some random memory of one drunken episode or another.

Back to yesterday, I drove past this place for the first time in a while ... only to see it changed into a lighting emporium.

The place were I once sat on a stage with five strippers (it wasn’t a strip joint, just a one-time special appearance) after a buddy paid for my birthday present now sells household and office lights. It even looks all respectable and clean, unlike the building’s past days.

So, I’m starting this to see if anyone else has had any of those “Yup, I’m getting older kind of moments,” lately.

Mine was my former college bar ... that and my 6-year-old telling me this morning that he has a loose tooth.

Do kids lose teeth that early? I thought I was older when I went through the trauma of my mother and aunt using every kind of tool and appliance they could think of to yank teeth from my fearful mouth.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: You're I'm Getting Older Moment

I've had a few, but the one that stands out came when I took a college course this fall. There was a 50-something guy in the class, but once he dropped not only was I the oldest student in the class, I was older than the instructor.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whenever I stroll past the Parthenon, I get a tear, remembering what it looked like new.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

When I realized I had babysat not only for a kid playing in our state's high school Senior Bowl, but for his older (graduated) brothers as well.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

When I was getting my master's (at age 27) I regaled my younger classmates with tales of how "When I was a freshman here, you could smoke in the student union, and in some classes." and "When I was a freshman here, they sold beer in the food court." The way the looked at me it was as if I had been talking about a prehistoric time.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

When I realized that no one cares about the "your-you're" thing anymore.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When I realized I'm 10 years older than most of my classmates.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I went to a wedding in the summer, and there was a neightbour kid I used to babysit hammered at the bar and getting a smoke out, ready to go outside and light up.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The first time I saw kids wearing Class of '00 shirts and jackets. Now, freshmen in high school are the class of '10. Weiiirrrrd.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Spinited and I can tell you a few things about getting older.

You guys are rank amateurs. :)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ahhh, it happens every once in a while, but then I turn around and get carded, and everything's even again. ;)

12. Slash

Slash Member

When I (30 at the time) called the cops on some kids shooting fireworks after midnight on the 4th of July.

Draft saved Draft deleted