1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your ideal place to live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 29, 2012.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

1) Sydney (did it, would do it again in a heartbeat)
    1A) Melbourne, so much like Boston but with a Victorian vibe
    2) Auckland, most accepting city I've ever experienced

**And if anybody here wants to do an apt. swap for the summer -- you take my NYC pad, I go somewhere in the PNW or Alaska or Montana or anywhere cool -- that can be arranged!

2. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

1. San Francisco, grew up near there and love so much about the city.
    2. NYC, I don't prefer rural places, and New York has the right blend of urban and great food/entertainment/things to do/open all the timeness for me.
    3. Charleston, after visiting, has a cool blend of old/new with a nice downtown teeming with energy.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Portland
    San Luis Obispo
    Santa Cruz

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So ... not Atlanta, then?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm still mad at myself for not moving to NYC when I was single. I had so much fun there on road trips. But I don't think I would want to raise kids there.

I love where I live now, and it's a city that probably (almost definitely) wouldn't make anyone's top 10 list, but housing is inexpensive, the schools are great, there isn't much crime and it's a pretty great place to raise kids...

6. joe

joe Active Member

I figured downtown Berdoo with a homeless guy pissing beside the trash fence was a given. And what's a little gunplay between friends?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For about 10 months of the year, I love where I live. March and April generally suck, however.

Sanibel Island, October-May

SE Wyoming or Microville, June-September.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to think I could move anywhere, because I'd make new friends or whatever. Now, I couldn't imagine not seeing my parents, my brother, my in-laws, and my high school and college friends with some frequency. I had a long conversation with a friend the other night about how remarkably lucky we all were.

9. Mizzougrad96

My list would basically be:

1. San Diego
    2. San Francisco
    3. Santa Barbara
    4. Malibu
    5. Palo Alto (not East Palo Alto)
    6. Marin
    7. Santa Clara
    8. Napa
    9. Orange County (Irvine)
    10. Santa Cruz

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So anywhere but California?

11. Mizzougrad96

Until I met my wife, I didn't really care where I lived and I basically just moved around the country as needed for jobs. The good news was I got to experience a lot of different regions. The northeast is the only part of the country where I haven't lived at some point.

But I can't imagine continuing to do that after starting a family. I don't know how people can continue to live like a nomad after getting married and having kids.

12. Mizzougrad96

Well, if money wasn't an issue...

Since money is an issue, other than an internship, I haven't lived there since I was 18.

Draft saved Draft deleted