1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your ideal place to live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 29, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lucky enough to live there already.

(Just as an aside, it's also possible to live in really great places even if you're dirt poor. In fact, doing so is one of the privileges of youth.)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Long-term: San Francisco.

For a year or two: Maui.

I'd love to get away from it all in a tropical climate for a year or two in a place like Maui, but could not be away from big city life long-term.

Weather-wise, I'm not a change of seasons guy. I'll take 85 and sunny every day from here on out. I get that I wouldn't get that in the Bay, but tradeoffs, right? The area outweighs it over, say, L.A. or Miami or San Diego or Dallas, where I would get the weather but not the rest of it.

Things I desire include all major sports, great outdoor recreation like scenic running and hiking, natural scenery like mountains or lakes or oceans (there absolutely has to be water where I'd be - only Chicago really fits the bill inland), human scenery like skylines or city views, progressive politics, diversity/multi-culturalism, and a thriving cultural/arts scene.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

NYC, Seattle or San Francisco.

Somewhere in the middle of a lot of stuff, I hate rural living.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Charleston, S.C.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rural living is kind of like island living to me.

I'd love to live on a big ol' Midwestern farm for a year or two, just driving the thresher and sipping lemonade on the porch swing at night spinning John Cougar Mellencamp discs. But I couldn't do it long-term.

6. baskethead

baskethead Member

I lived in Bellingham, Washington and would love to live there again. Big enough that it has everything you need, small enough that it's not overwhelming and can get where you need to go in 10 minutes. Love the change of seasons, love the attitude of the city, close to Vancouver and Seattle. Always tough to leave whenever we're visiting there.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Your mom's house.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In the moment.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Right now I'm living there.

Drove out to Vancouver Island for the first time last August to visit some friends. Drove home saying "I got to find some way out there." A week later a saw posting for a sports editor position at a daily, I applied and I've now been here 7 months. I don't regret it for a second. I got mountains. I gots me some ocean. The Island mentality is a slower pace which I enjoy. Where I live also has everything. I am a short drive to Victoria and Tofino (just went for the first time this weekend, oh my God, paradise) and a ferry ride to Vancouver. And the weather is amazing.

However, there is a part of me that will always be a Prairie boy. I do miss them, especially the big skies and thunder storms. Not to mention all my friends and family are still back there.

Don't know how long I will be here, but I am doing my best to enjoy my time on the Island.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That was the one thing that kept Hawaii from being perfect. All my friends and family were a 14-hour plane trip away. It wasn't like they could pop down for a weekend, like if I lived in Florida. If anyone wanted to visit, it was going to be a for a week minimum, more likely two, and $1,000 plane ticket, making it much more difficult for them to make plans to see me.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Some beach. Somewhere.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Of the places I have been, San Diego.

Draft saved Draft deleted