1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your home is your castle? Not in Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Just don't live in Indiana and you'll be fine.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good advice, regardless.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think it depends on the interpretation. Can a citizen slam his door and lock it? What if the officer has his palm on the outside of the door? Is that considered a use of force?

Cops already have so much authority and virtually complete immunity from almost anything they do that things that appear to give them additional unfettered ability to trample our rights just reflexively concern me.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a tough case. People's homes should be respected, but smacking on cops isn't a good plan, either.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think - and this is merely conjecture - it would be a bigger whitewash than you think. As in unanimous territory. But I think they'd probably rule pretty damned narrowly, as well, as they typically do.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Unless you're a white Michael Vick. Them it's okay.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure you do. As I noted way up the thread, they got guns and plenty of them. More than you.

If it turns out their orders or demands for entrance were illegal, you pursue your remedies after the fact.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You'd rather, as a society as a whole, have people err on the side of letting the police in rather than have people decide what is probable cause/exigent circumstances and what is not.

You want to avoid disputes between police/citizens, not increase them.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. The point of the opinion, from my reading, is NOT to excuse a police officer from punishment for entry without probable cause. Instead, it's merely that the best way to handle an entry you believe improper is not through physical resistance or violence against the police officer, instead you should initially comply with his request to come in, but THEN you can sue their asses off afterward.

Does not strike me as all that unreasonable or controversial of an opinion.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Remarkably, a lot of inner-city residents - who the Supreme Court decisions on the exclusionary rule and such were meant to protect - have pushed for relaxation of the Fourth Amendment protections that are not considered part of the Constitution.

This is quite a thought-provoking article on the topic:

http://bostonreview.net/BR24.2/meares.html

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In the heat of the moment, we should err on the side of the police.

When writing up procedures or assessing blame/punishment/whatever afterwards, we need to be very harsh on police.

Draft saved Draft deleted