1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your home is your castle? Not in Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do think the article was written with a sensationalistic bent. The judges aren't given cops permission to bust into anyone's house.

They are ruling that even if you think a police officer does not have grounds to enter your home, you can't use force to try to prevent him.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think they were shouting police. They were trying to break in to what they thought was a drug house.

But even if they were home invaders, shooting one wild round out of an old pistol at a group of people breaking into your house is not gonna solve your problem.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also - and this sucks - we're a nation of 300 million people. Sometimes stuff goes wrong. Sometimes stuff goes horribly wrong. You don't go around changing the entire system and overriding the Constitution over it. Sometimes chances occurrences are just that.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Citizens do not have to obey unlawful orders from police. What actions are permissible beyond refusing to obey is a very slippery and dangerous path to tread. I would not advise anyone to use force. Civil protest methods might be better but still dangerous. Regardless, whether the citizen responds properly or not does not alter an officer's constitutional obligations.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Presumably we hold the police to a higher standard of conduct than we hold our criminals.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Reigning in these sorts of "raids" to when they are completely necessary would seem to go a long way toward solving this problem.

Definitely seems like a better solution than letting people fight police when they don't think the police are right.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can always sue when you're dead.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The police remain bound to that standard of conduct. Nothing in the decision says that they aren't.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Given the behaviour of cops at the G20 summit in Toronto last year, I've becoming more and more disposed to reducing the police's discretionary powers when it comes to issues like this.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This ruling doesn't give police the right to make an illegal search of your home. It just says you can't use force to keep the police out of your home, even if you believe they have no right to barge in.

Maybe it's splitting hairs. I don't know.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually, it probably lowers the standard. I can presumably now be arrested for "resisting" simply by closing my door to any officer who appears on my front porch without a warrant.

And this court also just ruled that cops need no longer seek a judge's approval for a special 'no-knock' warrant. All warrants can be treated as 'no-knock' warrants at officers' discretion.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The only point with which I'd like to quibble is I think Dick is misreading Anthony Kennedy's intent. I think he'd side with Sotomayor, Kagan, Breyer and Ginsburg on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted