1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your home is your castle? Not in Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what the decision says. It was the right decision, both policy-wise and, more importantly, Constitutionally.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Didn't take you long to resort to that, did it?

Violate the oath by lying, and your warrant is no good. So yes, in fact, there is something in the Constitution that says police can be denied entry.

3. Dick Whitman

To what?

4. Dick Whitman

No, it doesn't. It doesn't say that at all.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Whether they are police is irrelevant here. They were criminals, plain and simple.

If you or I had done what they'd done -- break into someone's house and kill the occupant -- we'd be convicted of a hell of a lot more than manslaughter. Start with felony murder and work your way down.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And that would be a bit difficult to sort out right there on the doorstep, wouldn't it?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, if the default position wasn't to go in with paramilitary assault vehicles, it might not be so tough.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If your position is "there are bad cops and they shouldn't always be believed," you aren't going to get much disagreement on this thread.

But I don't think you understand what the ruling or the issue was in this case.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So she defended her home against an unwarranted search by police and ended up dead.

That's your example that people should used force to defend themselves against police entering their homes?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't understand how there's any "issue" with this.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's, uh, my argument that they shouldn't have to.

And it's not like she had much time to deliberate. She heard someone crashing into her door, heard a whole hell of a lot of shouting and reacted. Hell, who knows whether she could even hear the word police being shouted.

This is what's at the bottom of that slippery slope.

12. Dick Whitman

Well, first of all, if you really have an issue with the law - and you shouldn't - take it up with the Indiana legislature. Not the judges. They are just applying the Constitution as written and interpreted.

Draft saved Draft deleted