1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2012.
  1. Johnny Manziel

47 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. Manti Te'o

36 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This story names voters: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/03/final-heisman-survey-johnny-manziel-manti-teo/1742207/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Domer has no shot.

None.

Zero.

It's a wrap.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That is impressive, but has there been a single year during that time where the outcome was a surprise? I think there have been years where it was closer than most anticipated, but I think the guy who was the favorite going in has always won.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm aware voters are still making their votes public. Just noting that this is the first year I've heard anyone come out and say "Whoa. They're saying it's policy not to make it public, so I'm not going to, even though I have in the past."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Well, who do you think points out the favorite?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, more than a few papers do these kind of weekly polls. I remember the Rocky Mountain News doing it about 20 years ago (I think Randy Holtz ran it) and they were always right as well.

I can't remember a single Heisman surprise during my lifetime. Maybe Charles Woodson, even that wasn't too surprising.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right. So Johnny Manziel will win it. Because these polls are never wrong.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was only surprising in Tennessee, Mizzou. I still have scars from where my brothers-in-laws from Chattanooga bent my ear about that at a Christmas party.

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

The Irish Defense is the main reason Notre Dame is undefeated, which is what everyone says they will do every single year.

Manziel is the main reason A&M went 10-2 and defeated the #1 team in the Nation, after everyone expected them to finish the year with 4 wins.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Notre Dame wasn't ranked in the top 25 to start this season. I don't really buy the argument that Te'o's case is diminished because people expect Notre Dame to go undefated. No one expects Notre Dame to go undefeated these days. No one expects Notre Dame to win nine games, in fact.

Someone made this argument in reverse on the A.L. MVP thread, i.e. that Cabrera deserved it because he lived up to high expectations, whereas Trout was a rookie playing loose and free.

I didn't like it then, I don't like this form of it now. Judge their performance, separate from all that other noise.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is a ludicrous statement. Forget "everyone", nobody said or expected any such thing. Notre Dame was not even in the pre-season Top 25.

God forbid we allow the actual facts to guide our posts around here.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In my era, the most forgettable Heisman winners were Gino Torretta (1992), Danny Wuerffel (1996), Chris Weinke (2000) Eric Crouch (2001) and Jason White (2003).

Wuerffel over Peyton Manning? Crouch over Miami's Ken Dorsey? Some other years (Torretta, Weinke, White) the field of candidates was just a notch below normal.

Safe to say, Andrew Luck or Trent Richardson would win it over any of this year's finalists. I guess it's all about timing.

Draft saved Draft deleted