1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2012.
  1. Johnny Manziel

47 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. Manti Te'o

36 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

should be Te'o. Likely will be Manziel because of a lot of voters will see that Te'o went 0-0 passing for 0 passing yards, 0 rushing yards and 0 passing TD's and most voters don't know other positions exist and contribute to a team's success.
    Also, add to the list of guys who should have gotten an invite the all-time TD leader.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8700068/montee-ball-wisconsin-badgers-sets-ncaa-record-most-rushing-touchdowns

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not a career award. Montee Ball didn't deserve an invite based on this season. He piled up numbers at the end but was very inconsistent for the first half.

3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Te'o will win it this season because there is no runaway QB or RB favorite.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Heisman Pundit's current predicted finish:

1. Johnny Manziel
    2. Manti Te'o
    3. Collin Klein
    4. Braxton Miller
    5. Marqise Lee
    6. Kenjon Barner
    7. AJ McCarron
    8. Jordan Lynch
    9. Jadeveon Clowney
    10. Geno Smith

I think if McCarron throws for three touchdowns instead of one touchdown and two interceptions and Alabama beats Texas A&M, he would have been the winner. I can live with that. He doesn't deserve it. He and Miller will be frontrunners next year.

5. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

Am I alone in thinking that, in a perfect world, team success would not factor in to an individual award?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Manziel has the numbers and the signature Heisman moment/game. He seems like a slam dunk, on paper.

So why the hesitation? Is it the LSU game? Him being a freshman?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Apparently, 49 percent of our fellow message boarders either don't understand how this award works, haven't followed college football this season or don't understand the question.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

2009 Rolando McClain stats: 104 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 INTs
    2012 Manti Te'o stats: 103 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 1.5 Sacks, 7 INTs.

Suh wasn't even the best defensive player in 2009. Rolo didn't even get a sniff, so why would this guy?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it comes down to having no clear cut No. 4 and No. 5. You don't want to have someone there who has zero chance of winning and have them finish eighth. I'm guessing there won't be much difference between the vote totals of who finishes fourth and who finishes 12th this year.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do they pick finalists based on ballots already received? Or do they just pick three (or however many) they think will place high?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the interceptions are a huge part. Plus, it's just a narrative thing - Notre Dame, for many years, was known as a miserable defensive team. When it suddenly becomes one of the nation's best, that draws some attention.

But I've said the same thing on the other Heisman thread - he lacks the real glamor stats for a linebacker, i.e. TFL's and sacks.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Isn't a defensive lineman going to have more opportunities for TFLs whereas a linebacker has more chances for INTs?

Forced fumbles is a little more equal. Recovered fumbles is just right place right time.

Draft saved Draft deleted