1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Who will win the Heisman Trophy?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2012.
  1. Johnny Manziel

47 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. Manti Te'o

36 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Collin Klein

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'd give you Jones, but not in front of Te'o. Warmack? Get out of here with an offensive lineman. Lee had a solid year, but his team lost four out of its last five.

2. Rumpleforeskin

And if he meant two other players other than Manziel, I'd love to hear about them.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It all depends on how you phrase it. Warmack may have been more perfect at his position than anyone in college football. Most draft scouts are calling him the best guard prospect in a decade.

4. Rumpleforeskin

That's cool. Why didn't he win the Outland?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: Your Heisman Finalists — Manziel, Te'o, Klein. Who wins? (poll)

Because he plays guard. The award hasn't gone to a guard since 1997.

I am not arguing that Chance Warmack deserved the Heisman Trophy. I'm not even arguing he deserved the Outland Trophy. But I think you're being incredibly narrow-minded in suggesting that any interpretation in which Johnny Manziel was not one of the two best players in the country is wrong.

These phrases can be interpreted in so many different ways. Luke Joeckel, who did win the Outland, probably played the role of left tackle at a higher level than Manziel played the role of quarterback this year. I think quarterbacks should win the Heisman Trophy almost every year now because their role in modern football is significantly larger than any other position's. That doesn't mean they always are the best players, only the most important.

6. Rumpleforeskin

And a defensive player hasn't won the Maxwell since 1980, but that didn't stop Te'o from getting it.

I'd love to know who nmmetsfan thought who were better candidates. That's all.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am confused, and apparently so are voters. Is the Heisman supposed to be for the BEST college player, or the MOST VALUABLE college player? Or is it for the good quarterback or running back who has the best games on national TV, as seems to be the case? When a guard wins, I'll start caring.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What's interesting to me is we no longer judge players and teams by wins but losses.

So you have a guy like Klein, a runaway favorite get sidetracked by a loss to Baylor, then you have Manziel, who, Cam Newton-like, emerge from nothing and I mean nothing, to win the Heisman based on A&M beating 'Bama.

Even with Manziel's numbers, if A&M lost to Alabama, he's not even a finalist. And maybe not even in the discussion.

As for teams, that applies to all but the SEC where the patented Vortex of Domination is in effect.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sponsored by Nissan.

We really need to stop voting on stuff like this.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Jarvis Jones was the biggest playmaker in the country. He should have at least been invited. In big games when big plays needed to be made, he was consistently the one to make it.

Te'o played 98 percent of his team's defensive snaps, led the nation in takeaways and by multiple accounts missed two tackles all season. Oh, and his team also happens to be undefeated mainly because of the defense.

Manziel faced three good opponents all season and his team was 1-2 in games against those opponents. He had gaudy stats largely compiled against weak teams. One big game against Alabama is why he won.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heisman Pundit says there's no chance Manziel wins again:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21332937/why-johnny-manziel-will-never-win-another-heisman

There is a pretty glaring error in this piece, however. Anyone else catch it?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Two of our three voting staffers had third-place votes for Quinton Patton, the Louisiana Tech wideout. They swear they were not in communication about that before doing it. The columnist said Patton had a much better year than Marqise Lee.

Draft saved Draft deleted