1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Hall of Fame Vote, Post-Mitchell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, if Gooden hung it up 1994 and never came back with the Yankees, he might have stood a better chance of making the Hall of Fame than he does now. Considering he had two major arm injuries, his career from 1984-93 (or at least the 84-91 part, which wouldn't have given him the requisite 10 years) is close to Hall-worthy on its own.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If Gooden didn't (allegedly) take almost every drug on the planet, he might have a better HOF chance.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK Tom, just for you:

My live first baseball game: a Saturday in July, 1955 (don't remember the exact date) at Ebbets Field, upper deck boxes seats (Cost $3) second row, behind home plate...Dodgers-Milwaukee Braves.
    Braves won ... don't remember the score. Some 21-year-old kid named Hank Aaron hit a home run.
    I was 5 years old.

4. Steak Snabler

That's probably true, but the two arm injuries (especially the second one) had a more detrimental effect on Gooden's career than the drugs did.

5. Steak Snabler

When I was in high school, my mother dated a man who was at Larsen's perfect game (or at least he said he was; he showed me the ticket stub). Their relationship didn't last, but he told some great stories.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I was at the game before Larsen. First World Series game..age 7.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I, on the other hand, was not born yet. ;D

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i bow in your presence. wow, just wow. how well do you remember it?

and were you able to get to yankee stadium and the polo grounds before 1957?

9. Steak Snabler

You didn't used to date my mom, did you? (Actually that guy was in his 60s when I knew him -- the early 90s, so he would have been quite a bit older than 7 in 1955).

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Went to all 3 NY parks in '56, including, as mentioned, WS game before Larsen in '56.
    Next door neighbor in NJ was a CPA who got tix from his clients. Also, local rec program used to have bus trips to all 3 ballparks in the summer FREE!

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then you lived my dream, my friend. and i mean that in all sincerity.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You have read what amount to hundreds of posts from me on here and think my ideas amount to "steroids, bad!"? Take just the last post you responded to. All I said was that it was a choice. Players knew it was a choice that had a stigma attached to it. That is why they used the drugs illicitly. If it was all perfectly legal and within the rules, why did they hide their use and lie about it right down the line, even in the face of evidence of their use? Why not just proclaim that they did nothing wrong?

Either way, what I concluded doesn't amount to "steroids, bad!" I wrote they made their choices. None had the balls to stand up and face up to their choices (Even Jose Canseco lied about his use for years). I generally don't respect people like that. But that has nothing to do with "steroids, bad!" In fact, I have posted several times in the wake of the Mitchell Report that what the report will do is get the last remnants of ostriches to finally admit that use has been prevalent (the arguments I was having three and four years ago on this board). With that out of the way, we can actually have an honest discussion about "steroids, bad!" or "steroids, not bad!" Some people will think there is an integrity issue. Others, including you, if I have read your posts on here correctly, believe it isn't a big deal. There actually is no right or wrong answer. Just opinions. I personally do see integrity issues. I also think it is so entrenched in sports at this point that even people like myself who have a problem with an ethic that makes it acceptable to cut corners at the expense of others who don't cut corners, are going to get worn down to the point where they realize the cheaters are always going to be ahead and even if you do everything possible to try to fight the drugs, so you might as well accept the reality that you can't get rid of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted