1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Hall of Fame Vote, Post-Mitchell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

16 Yr WL% .634 194 112 430 410 68 24 4 3 2800.7 2564 1198 1091 210 954 2293 78 76 11705 42 33 3.51

Yeah, well, there's a pretty good case to be made for Doc too, Doc. Everybody who so quickly writes Koufax in ... Gooden was just as dominant for a relatively short time.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry, shotty. Gooden's dominance doesn't approach what Koufax did.

3. We should just agree to vote in Dawson and Gossage this year and go about our day...

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

even bob gibson didn't put together koufax-like numbers. you have to go back a long way.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

In his first 8 seasons (ages 19-26) Gooden was 132-53.
    Not quite Koufax, but damn near as dominant.

Koufax is the best pitcher I ever saw --no matter how brief his great years . Gooden at his best was not far behind.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hate to speak for doc, but i think he was speaking of koufax's final four or five years.

and if so, gooden isn't even in the same ballpark. not even close.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, I was, but spnited was comparing periods of dominance. For Gooden, it was his first seven years. For Koufax, it was his last six.

I'm looking at the numbers, and Gooden's only advantage is wins. Koufax owns every other category. He also won three World Series.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think we may be likening Gooden's dominance to, say, Kerry Wood, whose dominance simply was not long enough (through no fault of his own).

Gooden was a Game 1 pitcher for a good number of years.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you look at four, koufax kills gooden in wins.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree Doc. As I said, Koufax in his late 20s is the best, most dominant, overpowering pitcher I ever saw.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would pay an ungodly sum of money to see Walter Johnson during his prime.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd pay more to time machine back to 1955 new york, but watching johnson wouldn't be far behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted