1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your greatest sports/athletic achievement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

I scored on a four-base error whirlwind around the bases during one at-bat in a community college intramural softball game against the Jocks.

Play began when I hit a slow roller to shorstop, who half-assed the play and makes a wild throw to first. The ball hits the fence and rolls down the right-field line.

I continued to second, only to see the throw (from the right fielder) get past the third baseman and into left field.

I head to third (to the objective of my teammates who are saying, 'No, No') and slide head first as the throw from the left fielder gets away from third and rolls between the first-base line and home plate.

At this point I'm heading home. The first baseman fields the ball and throws to the right of the catch, allowing me to again slide head first for the final run. After sliding home, my teammates lift me and carry me back to the dugout on their shoulders. Even the jocks were impressed with the play. I had bad scrapes on my elbow and knees from the slides, but it was worth it.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

You sure you weren't playing against the 2007 White Sox?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

In sixth grade, we played softball every day at recess. Our teacher pitched to us. I was sucking, like usual, and either striking out or grounding out weakly because all I would do was step towards third base during my swing--stepping in the bucket. My arch-nemesis would razz me every single AB, tell me how much I sucked and what an embarrassment I was, etc.

My teacher, bless his soul, saw all this taking place and, as I stepped into the batter's box, told me to step towards him when I swing the bat. I nodded. In centerfield, the douchebag razzed me some more.

My teacher lobbed the ball toward home plate...I stepped towards him and swung...and fucking CRUSHED that ball. I mean, I fucking nailed it. To centerfield, too. I'll never forget the douchebag's face dropping as he turned and ran after it. It cleared the basketball courts, landed and started rolling up a slight incline.

I rounded the bases in about 4.5 seconds, smiling the widest smile of my life. I crossed home plate as the douche meekly threw the ball into the outfield and high-fived everyone on my team.

My teacher kept track of the home runs and made a big deal about putting my name up on the board when we got back in. I ended up finishing third in the class. It was all downhill from there, but man, that felt good. I take a great deal of pride whenever I'm playing ball with my cousin and I remind him to step towards me when he's swinging.

In high school, I ran track (also badly). The football coach was the track coach, not because he knew anything about track--he knew less about track then he did about football, a notable achievement--but because he wanted to preside over the off-season workouts of his players, all of whom just happened to come out for field events. This jerkoff had me running long distance, which I hated. I didn't have the--pause for effect--STAMINA for it, but he was convinced I could be a good distance runner. Never mind that I loved running the 400 and the 800 (it's not quite a sprint, it's not quite a distance race, but you get a good workout) and kept begging him for a chance to try the high jump. "No, you're not a high jumper," he said.

I convinced him to let me run the 400 once in a JV meet and try the high jump at the JV league meet. I won both events, and not by a small margin. He can blow me.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Senior year of hs, we're in a dual meet with our big rivals on a Friday night. The bleachers were full and a good chunk of my senior class had to stand behind our bench. Down by four points, I started off hot but then fell behind in points and was having a tough go at it. Then my opponent slipped, I threw a headlock around him and slammed him to his back and got the pin, right in front of the cheerleaders who made their only appearance that year too. If the guy right after me, who finished second in states hadn't re-injured his shoulder against the guy he hated the most that night, we'd have won.

Oh, and I did hit 3 HRs in one game in beerleague softball last year too.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

And then you fucked Linda Fiorentino!!!!!!

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Senior year of high school. Two outs, tie score, runners on first and third.

High fastball that wasn't that fast, drops into centerfield.

It's either that or winning the Pinewood Derby when I was eight.

7. Flying Headbutt

While we listened to Journey and Madonna!

Only the younnnnnnnnnnng!!!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

HE WAS JUST A KID!!!!!

(Good Lord I hope Junkie isn't in timeout)

9. Flying Headbutt

Lemme just say I'm glad I didn't run room service up to rooms at a local motel after practice. And I never had a friend named Cooch, though the other guy on my team I referenced had an uncanny similarity to him, to the point we sometimes called him Cooch too.

10. You can't even hold in your own mud.

11. Flying Headbutt

I swear I didn't lose my virginity in a field at my grandpa's farm.

Back in a minute, my nose is bleeding again.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fantastic. For the first 6 seasons, I was the biggest MWC fan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted