1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Franchise Player(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Aug 6, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

NO!

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Gotta go with Robbie Alomar for the Jays and couldn't agree more with you on Tim Raines.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll get more home runs, but he won't touch the other stuff. Pujols is great, but he's not Stan the Man.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm still not clear when Tim Raines became so forgotten and underrated.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very true, Mizzou...incredibly overlooked.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the drugs (head-first slides) tarnished his image some.

I have a feeling I am wrong there, but I thought some player expained the reason why he slid head first was because he did not want to damage what was in his back pocket.

7. Mizzougrad96

He only got 24.3 percent vote for the HOF last year. That's a travesty.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I believe Raines himself admitted that.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

With Musial? Nope. Not even a single brain cell.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Pujols won't touch the hit totals (or 22 years), but home runs, average and RBI are within reach if he stays healthy and continues to produce throughout his career.

Of course, he has to get pitches to hit. Two plate appearances today against the Dodgers, two walks.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll say this, since I think it'll explain my selections a little better: I wasn't going for the best player the franchise has ever had, since clearly Alomar -- a sure Hall of Famer -- was a better player than either Delgado or Carter. I'm looking at who was the best player for the franchise.

Delgado played 12 years for the Jays (nine full), Alomar played five (two were abbreviated by the strike; and he arguably had even better seasons with Baltimore and Cleveland than he did in Toronto.) So I'm not saying that Delgado was a better player overall than Alomar; he wasn't. But as the Jays' "franchise player"? Oh yeah. Best ever in a Blue Jay uniform.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, Dean's not even close. Check his record again.

And I won't disagree that Pujols is young, so maybe he doesn't deserve to be higher than Brock or Gibson yet. But I can't imagine a scenario in which he won't be fighting with Musial for that top spot when all is said and done.

Draft saved Draft deleted