1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Franchise Player(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Aug 6, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

So ESPN's Baseball Tonight is developing another program to find the "best player in history" of every major league baseball team.

I don't remember when the whole voting starts or how it'll work, but I thought it'd be a nice discussion/debate to see what everyone thought was the best player in history of every baseball team.

EDIT: I apologize if this is on the wrong thread. I wasn't sure if this would be more appropriate in this thread of the "Anything Goes" thread.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. pallister

pallister Guest

Make sure Perenially Overrated hasn't started this thread before.

Close to home, it's Frank Thomas for the White Sox, although a certain baseball afficianado may get on here and scold me for not picking someone else.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought this was best in each team's history, not ESPN's history.

I'll leave the rest up to Buckdub.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll have to pick the home team first and say that it's a tie for me between Ted Williams and Yastrzemski.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Are you saying Thomas is not the best player in White Sox history, spnited? If so, who's your pick? No hiding behind Buck.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No it's not. The only one who can have an argument against Williams is Clemens, if you don't count the steroids.

In NY, Ruth over many others who would win in other cities, & Seaver over Piazza.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Yaz was great, but not in Williams' league.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One man's list; I tried to go with great players who are synonomous with that particular franchise, not just guys who passed through (like Sheffield or Josh Beckett with the Marlins, or most of the great players who made up the Blue Jays' World Series winners in the early 90s):
    Yanks -- Babe Ruth
    Red Sox -- Ted Williams
    Orioles -- Brooks Robinson? Maybe Jim Palmer?
    Blue Jays -- Egads. Most of the great players from their World Series teams, like Molitor, Henderson and Winfield, were transients. Dave Stieb?
    Rays -- None.

Twins -- Harmon Killebrew or Kirby Puckett.
    Tigers -- Ty Cobb
    Royals -- George Brett
    White Sox -- Joe Jackson
    Indians -- Bob Feller

Rangers -- Nolan Ryan
    Mariners -- Ken Griffey Jr.
    Angels -- Tough one. Rod Carew, I suppose. Maybe Nolan Ryan again.
    A's (Oakland era only) -- Reggie Jackson

Phillies -- Mike Schmidt/Steve Carlton (tie)
    Mets -- Tom Seaver
    Nats/Expos -- Gary Carter? Andre Dawson?
    Marlins -- Haven't kept anyone great around long enough for consideration in this discussion.
    Braves -- Hank Aaron

Brewers -- Robin Yount. Molitor was too much of a transient later in his career.
    Cubs -- Gotta be Ernie Banks.
    Astros -- Nolan Ryan, or Craig Biggio if you want a guy who played his whole career there.
    Cardinals -- Stan Musial
    Pirates -- Roberto Clemente
    Reds -- Frank Robinson or Pete Rose

Rockies -- Todd Helton? Haven't had much else in 15 years, in terms of long-lived standouts.
    Dodgers -- Jackie Robinson
    Giants -- Willie Mays
    Padres -- Tony Gwynn
    Diamondbacks -- Randy Johnson

10. times38

times38 Member

As a Braves fan you'd have to say Hank Aaron, but the Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine troika deserves some love too. As does Dale Murphy.

11. Or there's always that Cal Ripken Jr. guy.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Henry Aaron

Draft saved Draft deleted