1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your five favorite sports books

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Many of my faves have been listed here - great calls on Ghosts Of Manila. Couple other boxing ones I'll throw out, The Devil And Sonny Liston and Rocky Marciano: Biography Of A First Son.

I'll throw out Dollar Sign On The Muscle, a fine book on baseball scouting.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

In no particular order:

Heaven Is A Playground.
    Home Game.
    Namath.
    Losing The Edge.
    (Tie) When The Lights Went Out/Searching For Bobby Orr.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

When I mentioned I surely would forget books that I should list...well, It Never Rains was one of them. Great read.

4. Ch.B

Ch.B New Member

Someone mentioned a dearth of good basketball books. I'll throw out five of my favorites, in no order:

1. The Last Shot - Darcy Frey. Gorgeously-written tale of a young Marbury in Coney Island. Still love the way Frey describes a jumpshot as "unspooling" on the first page
    2. The In-Your-Face Guide to Pick-Up Basketball - Wolff and Wielgus - hard to believe Alex wrote this when barely out of college. Funny, dead-on, a love letter to the game, if a bit dated now.
    3. A Sense of Where You Are - McPhee. Perfect match of writer and subject.
    4. Heaven is a Playground.
    5. The City Game. Axthelm

There are plenty of other good ones too - McCallum's Suns book is excellent (the Alvin Gentry anecdotes alone are worth it) and Brook Larmer wrote a fascinating book from China called Operation Yao Ming.

And, to add a non-hoops book, I'll throw in Halberstam's The Amateurs, which made me care about something I thought I never could, rowing.

5. busch

busch Member

A couple of other books I really liked were: The Sweet Season by Austin Murphy and A Civil War, Army vs. Navy by John Feinstein.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

1. Sunday Money, Jeff MacGregor -- Just a beautiful, hilarious, touching portrait of America.

2. How Soccer Explains The World, Franklin Foer -- Given to me a few years ago by my SportsJournalists.com secret santa. Wonderful idea and execution.

3. Road Swing, Steve Rushin -- Just cause.

4. FNL, Bissinger -- Other than Homicide, I think it's the best example, in the last 25 years, of a non-fiction writer capturing the complexities of an entire community, warts and all.

5. Far Afield, SL Price -- I think the best modern book written about what it's really like to write about sports for a living.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I second so many of those mentioned (Heaven is a playground, FNL, The Last Shot, Far Afield...) Some that i don't think have been mentioned yet:

"Bringing the Heat" by Mark Bowden. I just read it a couple years ago and it blew me away. His details are fantastic and he got a lot of people to talk very openly about life in the NFL, especially a few newly-divorced wives. That Eagles team was a goldmine of stories, and it really showed what the NFL was like before the big, big money came in.

Bill Bradley's "Life on the Run." A spare, eloquent journal of two weeks in the NBA. He even talks about bedding a sexy stew.

"When Nothing Else Matters," by Michael Leahy. An almost literary coda to the Jordan trilogy, following Smith's book and Halberstam's bio/last season recap. I know some people thought it was too negative at times, but I really thought it was a universal story about growing old and inevitable failure, almost like Updike's Rabbit Angstrom.

Norman Mailer's "The Fight." A very Mailer account of Ali-Foreman.

The Natural and Shoeless Joe (Field of Dreams). The books are much better than the movies.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Didn't know this existed. Just reserved it in my library's system. Tks.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I just reserved it too.

And good call on Sunday Money.

10. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

Seabiscuit was a great read. I learned all I know about horse racing from it.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sunday Money was a disapointment. I had hoped for a more in depth version of Wolfes " Last American Hero " and ended up with what seemed like a Margaret Mead socialogical study on the habits of red necks. Mcgregor comes across as a typical effete eastern liberal looking to poke fun at the sport of the south.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Ball Four
    2. Foul (the Connie Hawkins story)
    3. Namath
    4. When Pride Still Mattered
    5. North Dallas 40

Draft saved Draft deleted