1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your five favorite sports books

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 5, 2009.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr ponting,

As a high schooler I was working (security) at a snooker tournament where a lot of the old British stars of the 70s came in to play Cliff Thorburn and the Canadian contingent. Hurricane didn't even give the ref a chance to move back from the table spotting colours before pulling the trigger. John Spenser shows up in a tux and Hurricane shows up in a t-shirt that looked like it had been ripped off the back of a junkie.

o-<

2. rponting

rponting Member

He came to Australia for some tournaments about 20 years ago and made a ruckus wherever he went.
    That's a fabulous read, that Borrows book

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Huh ??

4. highlander

highlander Member

Okay here goes

A Civil War by John Feinstein - Great book. Some really moving moments.

12 Mighty Orphans - Jim Dent - Another excellent read. The boys from the Masonic Home could play some football.

God's Coach - Skip Bayless - Don't know how true everything in it was, but it was an interesting read for a Cowboys fan.

Money Ball - Michael Lewis - Enjoyed the look in the major league draft.

Semi-Tough - Dan Jenkins - Just plain funny. Even better when I asked my parents (who are friends with Jenkins) if some of crazy things in the book really happened and they confirmed they did.

The Junction Boys - Jim Dent - What a great story and a read.

Three Days in August - Buzz Bissinger - The chapter about Darryl Kile's death was moving.

Draft saved Draft deleted