1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first time...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Oct 28, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

...voting for a presidential candidate. Yea, much more boring than the alternative.

I just mailed out my absentee ballot and therefore voted in a presidential election for the first time. I figured we could have a little more light-hearted political thread and share stories about your first time voting for a presidential candidate (for many of you it was probably before I was born).

2. First time was 2000. I was 18 and a senior in high school.

The polling place, interestingly, was in my school. I literally grabbed a book from my locker and dropped by to vote (there was no line) before heading into my second period class.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I missed being able to vote in the 2000 election by about two weeks (wasn't quite 18 yet). Voted via absentee from another state in 2004 shortly after I finished college. Wasn't actually that exciting ... this is the first one I've really cared about and gotten excited for on my own.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1992. Mailed my absentee ballot from college back to California.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

1996, as a freshman in college. Being the smartass that I was, I voted for Ken Griffey, Jr., thanks in large part to the Nike ad campaign with he and George Clinton, among others. Found out I was hardly the only one, as several of my buddies did the same.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1992. I can remember talking to people about voting for President. One older woman I worked with was excited that she finally voted for the winning candidate for the first time in a long while. I also remember talking with a friend of mine who was excited about getting the chance to vote for the first time.

Then I remember my father repeatedly mocking me and his partner for voting for Bill Clinton in 1992. He didn't vote, so I got on him about not voting. Then in 1996, Dad voted for Clinton.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

2004. Had just turned 19 in June. Voted for W, something I wish I hadn't done and something I'm not all that proud of now.

It was kinda exciting, too. I think I was the youngest person in line to vote at that time during the day.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2000 was my first. It wasn't until a couple weeks later I found out my guy lost. You might have heard about that.

I'm 0-for-2. I feel like a poker player who keeps making the right moves but gets sucked out on with a 2-outer on the river.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

2000. I was 19 and a college sophomore.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

2000. I sucked at my first try, but my guy lost my second try.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

1997 British General Election. Walked down the street from my dorm to the polling station, then got blotto as my party finished third again, and Labour won in a landslide.

12. maberger

maberger Member

1980, when John Anderson said you can't cut taxes AND eliminate the deficit.

Draft saved Draft deleted