1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your First Time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

if i ever use the term "rocked credentials" please slit my throat.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's funny, Gator. Reminds me of the time I interviewed Pete Rose shortly after he got out of prison. It was a 2-on-1 with a radio lady, on a dark veranda. I grew up enamored of the guy because he was, well, Pete Rose. Know exactly where I was when he slapped the ball into shallow left field off Eric Show for No. 4,192. But I didn't want to sully his greatness and asked, "So what was it like in the ... facility?" He looked at me and said "Facility?! Is that what you guys are calling it these days?"

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

met and interviewed bobby bonds at a triple-A park in, or about in, 2000.

much like your experience, i walked away believing he was a true class act and that barry must not be his biological son or maybe was raised by wolves.

anybody here interview willie mays? if so, tell us about your experience.

4. Songbird

Tom, I asked Mays if I could interview him -- the same celebrity gathering Rose was at -- so I approached him and extended my hand, introduced myself and asked if I could ask him a few questions. He looked at me and said "No" and walked away.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was afraid it was like that Xan.

as a fan, i HATE the giants, both NY and SF, but i believe willie mays not only is the greatest player ever to strap on cleats, but might have been the best thing ever to happen to baseball. while his career was spent alongside some awesome players, he was THE guy who made baseball fun.

i've heard grumblings from other folks ... and really never have heard a sportswriter say one nice thing about him.

thats a shame.

6. Songbird

I just took it as a sign that I was some 21-year-old whitebread honky with a bad hairdo. Either that or Rose told him I called prison a "facility" and warned him to stay away. No biggie, though, because I got to interview Paul Gleason (RIP) and that guy could talk up a storm. He called me for weeks asking me to send him the article.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Don't Don't Don't Don't Don't You Forget About him

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

First pro football game I covered, I was in the mob around Warren Sapp in the locker room. Warren, in his postgame half-naked splendor, sits at his locker and spreads a white towel in front of his feet to catch his tobacco spit (it's quite a useful boundary, you quickly learn to stand off to the side). Any dumb questions or ones he doesn't want to answer are greeted with a spit and a terse "next question." I asked one that I worried wouldn't make the cut, but it did and he answered. I said thank you and he winked. Maybe he suspected I was the rookie in the room. Or I just got really lucky. Probably the latter.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One of our interns accompanied our then-SE to a Rangers game a few years ago.

I'm sure it was an experience he'll never forget: He saw A-Rod naked.

"I saw the million-dollar tool," he marveled when he got back.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Only if you cut mine when I start menstrating about people's casual use of English in a message board.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I fought to overcome a shy nature early in my career, but there was only one person I was flat-out too intimidated to ask a single question. That was Chuck Noll. I was 20 at the time. I just sat there and took notes at a post-game presser.

A few years later, I pissed off Bill Cowher after a training camp practice early in his head coaching career, the first time I'd had at he chance to interview him. I pressed him for an answer on something he had already avoided, and he gave me a hard look and firmly reminded me that the season opener was weeks away.

One that didn't happen to me was with former Pitt basketball coach Paul Evans. I was interviewing him after a practice along with a very inexperienced reporter at the college paper. The other reporter asked him something and Evans just looked at him and said, "Who the hell writes your questions?"

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one more phrase i will work into my vernacular.

thanks meat.

Draft saved Draft deleted