1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As a friendly TV guy, here is the easy way:

Rating is the actual "number" of viewers.
    Share is the % of TVs that are on during a particular measured time frame (an hour, perhaps) watching a certain program.

20 years ago, all of the TV stations had higher "ratings" (eyeballs) but the battle is over "share". Fewer and fewer people watch and, as an industry, we try and hang on to the people who still watch. I think this is a bit of a strategic mistake as I believe we should try and gain the viewership of younger people raised on Stewart and Colbert.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Somebody at our Super Bowl party last night said it was her first.
    "Has this blackout been part of the show before?" she asked.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The first Super Bowl I remember watching was Super Bowl III when Joe Namath shocked the world.

The first sports bet I ever made (except betting my Dad a quarter whenever his alma mater Ohio State played in the Rose Bowl) was on the Cowboys to beat the Colts in Super Bowl V. We watched the game while at a friend's 10th birthday party and a lost $1 to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted