1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

1. Albert, wouldn't you agree that what was being asked could have been phrased better?

2. I've watched them all.

3. I can't believe MileHigh's post is still waiting on that tee.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. I understood it as "how long have you played the quarterback position?" Sort of like "did you start playing football at a different position and then later become a quarterback?"

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe it's revisionist history years after the fact, but I thought it was intended as a half-sarcastic question. Like a lot of people were asking him about being the first black QB, then the Clarion-Ledger guy asked him the question in a "When do you think race became important in your story?" way.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That may be a bit of a reach, but I'm sure there was a legitimate question in there, but obviously it wasn't worded the way it should be.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The stories I've read say the actual question from the reporter was "Obviously, you've been a black quarterback all of your life. When did it start to matter?"

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Trying to turn this political, like certain instigators at Super Bowl Media Day who think this is more than a football game?

Cause I ain't wrong about Gowdy.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Voice inflection and if the reporter had a relationship with Williams can change things, too.
    A little exasperation and emphasis on the word black — as in, "(sigh) Doug, when did you become a black quarterback?" — makes it a mood-lightener rather than an all-time gaffe. Of course, people just hear the question and not the tone and take it at face value.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Miami vs. Minnesota at Rice.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I go back to the beginning, the First AFL-NFL World Championship Game in professional American football. It was Super Bowl I played on Jan. 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Some referred to it as the Super Game. The National Football League champion Green Bay Packers defeated the American Football League champion Kansas City Chiefs, 35–10. I wasn't there but I do remember the telecast.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Dad, why's the end zone so small? And where's the 55-yard-line?"

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted