1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

The biggest rout in Super Bowl history was Super Bowl XXIV, when the 49ers beat the Broncos 55-10 in New Orleans.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

XII. My grandparents had just back to Colorado a few years earlier and were Broncos fans, and as a young lad, I latched onto them two seasons before. I don't remember watching X and XI but I definitely remember watching and balling during XII.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Probably XIX or XX.

The first one I watched all the way through was XXI.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, if your pre-game ritual includes spanking the monkey, I can see understand.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've seen them all. More than the game, what I remember from the first one was that before the game one of the networks was interviewing fans outside the stadium to ask them what the new championship game should be called (remember, it wasn't officially the Super Bowl yet). a number of people said Super Bowl, but when one lady gushed that it should be called the "Super Fantasma Bowl!" My brother and I, who were little kids at the time, thought that was hilarious.

The first SB I covered was the one where the riots broke out in Miami the week of the game and Joe Montana led that late drive to beat the Bengals.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The first one I remember was the Cowboys-Broncos one. But I wasn't dialed in fully until XX and the Bears.

If I don't have a rooting interest or if I'm not working desk, I'm not glued to the TV screen. Damn game takes too long with the 4-minute commercial break, the kickoff, then the 4-minute commercial break.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Lucky you didn't work with me. I'd be giving you ever-living shit! :D

That was one of two Super Bowl's I've covered. Glad I was there ... for Prince's halftime show. That's what I meant. Has nothing to do with seeing the Bears lose a Super Bowl in person. At all. :D

Your reaction reminds me of the Brewers' meltdown in Game 6 of the 2011 NLCS. After the 100th error and 700th 1/3-inning pounding of one of the Brewers' relievers by the Cardinals, I let out an audible "FUCK IT!" and drove around town for several innings before returning home just in time to see the Cardinals clinch. Fuck.

Anyway, my first was your first, Super Bowl XIII. All I remember was that I was at my grandma's house and couldn't decide if I wanted the Steelers or Cowboys to win, I really only cared about the greatness that was David Whitehurst and the 8-7-1 Packers to that point in my burgeoning fandom. I reluctantly chose the Cowboys.

By Super Bowl XIV, my interest in football had grown by leaps and bounds and I was tired of the Steelers' dominance, so I rooted for the Rams.

Funny thing is, I really don't give two damns about this year's Super Bowl. I have a flight back from an assignment that arrives at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. I'll miss at least half the game and don't care one iota.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, I was just telling CB tonight how between work and Rex Grossman, the Super Bowl has rarely been fun for me in years. I'll be at work Sunday night and the biggest highlight -- assuming Ray Lewis doesn't break a leg -- will be trying to come up with a good headline.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

XXIII - I remember seeing the Tim Krumrie injury and marveling at Joe Montana.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember I being on in the living room and my dad, mom and brother watching, but I was just 7 1/2 and didn't fully grasp it. But by the next year, I clearly remember how we'd go to my grandparents' house for most Packer Sundays with all the aunts and uncles. We had to go to grandma and grandpa's on the weeks the packers played at County Stadium because they had an antenna they could point toward Madison because the games were blacked out in Milwaukee.

The Ice Bowl and Super Bowl II were great -- although the Raiders were my favorite AFL team at the time. Watching the Packers in the 1 o'clock slot and then the Raiders on NBC in the 4 o'clock slot is a great childhood memory.

And Super Bowl III was great as it was so easy to hate the Colts because they were a Packer nemesis.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Watched the first one with my dad. Just another football game.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

XIV was the first I watched at all. My parents had people over to watch the game and I kept watching for a bit, then leaving to go do whatever else I did when I was seven. I remember everybody being shocked when the Rams took the lead, but not much else.

XIX was the first I actually watched from start to finish. I hadn't really seen those 49ers play until they dismantled the Dolphins that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted