1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 1, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not as a journalist (sorry, Mizzou :D), but as a fan. Didn't want to clog up the 47 thread, and thought this might be fun (and, hopefully, occasionally weird).

Anyway, mine was Super Bowl XIII. It was three days before my 7th birthday. My mom planned a party for me and my friends at the local McDonald's. I nagged her to leave before it was all over because I wanted to watch the game. She eventually acquiesced, and thus began my (often unhealthy) obsession with the NFL.

Yours?

Oh, feel free to add any SB memories, not just the first. No one around here follows directions anyway. :D

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Super Bowl XXII.

It was on the TV. Watched for a half, then went back to playing Legend of Zelda.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

III.

Hope you enjoyed the bundle you made throwing the game, Earl.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Super Bowl XX. I was four, and later played Jim McMahon during a kindergarten graduation re-enactment of the Super Bowl Shuffle. Possibly because I was the only white kid.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first one I remember watching was XIII. I think baseball was still my favorite sport at that age, but that changed very quickly after Oakland and San Francisco won XV and XVI.

My first NFL jersey was Kenny King, which I got for Christmas right before the Raiders won XV.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

While watching Super Bowl IV as a young lad I became convinced as the game went on that the Vikings had been bought off by gamblers.

Then the Vikings smoked the Chiefs in the opening game of the next season.

Skol, Vikings!

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

XXII -- Broncos vs Redskins

I watched it by myself in my playroom. I had my own carefully prepared Super Bowl appetizer tray and a Polaroid camera. I captured pictures of John Elway on television with my camera throughout the first quarter and tacked them to the playroom wall. I believe that practice ended at some point during the second quarter. I cried throughout that 15 minutes of play and elected to not watch the second half. My parents checked on me throughout the night. I guess I was acting a little dramatic.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Super Bowl I

About 12 years later, I interviewed Curt Gowdy about the game for a magazine story about the AFC-NFC rivalry. Terrific interview. He called me from an airport with time to kill, and he may have had a drink or two in him, but just a fabulous interview with great anecdotes.

The game was carried by both NBC and CBS.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Creosote, I thought it was the victorious Raiders who were drunk.

Ruckus, when the Patriots took a 3-0 lead, I got all pissed off and told my dad I was not going to school Monday if the Bears lost. He subsequently made it quite clear I was going to school the next day -- even if the Bears lost by 100. I then started to worry that the Bears might, in fact, lose by 100. I was a tad nervous at the time. An hour later, my dad and I were smiling, laughing and reminiscing about a championship season. Ah, the joys of neurotic teen mood swings.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I want to say XIII, but somebody help me out here -- did they have an early moment of jawboning that involved the teams coming off their sidelines and preening toe-to-toe? That was the Hollywood C-A-T Super Bowl so it's certainly believable.

But if my 7-year-old mind was just making that up, my first memory would be Kenny King busting down the sideline in XV.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

ONE!!!
    It was supposed to be blacked out here in L.A., but the papers printed diagrams on how to make a temporary TV antenna and point it toward San Diego. Get a stick about 6 feet long, file notches in it about a foot apart. Unbend wire clothes hangers, sand them down if it was painted. Put the hangers into the notches. Connect it all with TV wires and temporarily hook it to the TV.
    Didn't work too well.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was supposed to go with my uncle to the Niners-Dolphins Super Bowl at Stanford Stadium. My parents said $60 was too much to spend on a ticket. My uncle said, "Fuck it, it's a gift. My treat..." and my father said, "We can't let you do that."

Long story short. I didn't go.

I'm still pissed about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted