1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first read on the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Who was, or will be, your first read on the Super Bowl and why?

For me, it will be whoever catches my eye first in The New York Times. I am a delivery subscriber and am not interested enough to look for anyone else online before reading the paper at breakfast. Will look later to see if anyone wrote about a Giants player who went to high school in our coverage area.

2. Scouter

Scouter Member

Just read Dan Wetzel, and he killed it on Brady in the locker room and post-game. Great column.

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Agreed. Wetzel was solid.

Then there's this:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/02/not_so_safety_c.html

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

yikes...that's a piece of crud...but looks like it's just some lame blog. Anyone know more about this site? Makes me wonder how much money he dropped on the Patriots before the game.

After taking a closer look...it seems like this is a Globe staffer...that can't be. Can it?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Crap like that makes me glad the Patriots lost. I'm kind of hoping we've seen the end of the Hub of the Sports Universe thing as well. The Celtics are old, the Pats seem mortal, the Red Sox seem to have melted down...

And is this guy serious about Mallett? He's not even the SECOND-String qb, Brian Hoyer is. He was in-active for every game. The guy that got cut on Super Bowl eve contributed more to the team this year.

Glad I read the Wetzel column second. Brilliant work. As good as the Colt McCoy BCS game column. The greatness of the piece though is that it is so detailed, yet carefully observed from a distance. Knowing who the various people were, keeping track of the clock. But how the hell did he get the bus seat numbers?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It can and is ... sort of. It's definitely not just some lame blog. Boston.com is branching off from the Globe, which is why he's listed as a Boston.com staff writer, but it's still the place most Globe readers would go to for their news. BostonGlobe.com has a paywall, but it also has many of the Globe's best writers.

As far as first read on the Super Bowl? I read enough at work tonight. Tomorrow, I plan on reading Joe Posnanski, Dan Wetzel, Bruce Arthur and a few of the Boston and New York writers. The first three all came as recommendations from trusted sources on Twitter, and they also happen to be three of my favorite columnists.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wetzel was nails -- as usual. Great stuff. Great detail.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Great writing. And here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aj5nemKQbqkUeR1fLEQdwUE5nYcB?slug=dw-wetzel_tom_brady_super_bowl_gisele_bundchen_defeat_020512

9. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

Thanks for the link, Matt. That Wetzel piece is superb. I may have to go out of my way to start reading more of his stuff.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That Wetzel piece deserves its own thread, to be honest. It's a text book example of show, don't tell. Instead of bloviating, Wetzel REPORTS. He gives you scene, time and time again, the stuff you can't get sitting on your couch.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

fantastic piece

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Simple premise: the story is in the losing locker room. Write down what you see and hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted