1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YoungGun7, Jun 11, 2007.

1. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

I'm a senior, about to graduate in December, and was wondering what you guys and few gals first job was out of college? Did any of you get lucky and get to cover a major college right out of the box? what was it like?

Also, by November when I begin looking for a job, some of you need to be moving on around that time. :) mostly you on the east coast.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

copy boy, ny daily news, 1978 -- 9 p.m.-5 a.m., mondays and tuesdays off, $165 a week, including night differential.

i was in heaven.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I got my first job as a news reporter in my hometown a month after I graduated from school (in 2004) About 6 months later, I shifted over to sports when someone in that department left. The paper was about a 10K p.m. daily, and it was a great starting point.
    Don't be afraid to take a news job at a place and then try to slide over to sports if the opportunity presents itself.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Castrating pigs.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

A skill that has no doubt served you well over the years.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

You ever need a scythe wound burned shut with a blowtorch, John, and I'm your man.

7. Went back to my job as a forest ranger for a year, after spending 10 days in graduate school.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Young Fenian, smarter than your average bear?

[​IMG]

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that. I was out back working on my lawnmower yesterday and one of those scythe-wielding sumbitches from Children of the Corn came after me. The zombie-looking motherfucker grazed my leg with the damn thing moments before I drove his ass into my wood chipper, Buscemi style, but now I got a big ole gash on my leg that sure as hell looks infected.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Weekly in 1996, making $19K.

Major college beat, good one.

11. Graduated on May 22, started at a 40K daily state paper on June 4. Making roughly $25K plus freelance. Not bad. Great position, but wish me luck landing the beat I'm hoping for...

12. mid-1980s

covering preps at a small daily in the middle of nowhere

$10,400

loved every damn second of it

Draft saved Draft deleted