1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first car.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 17, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    1972 Nova
    Unfortunately mine was only a straight 6 hand me down. But glove box fit my 10 band equalizer nicely and the rear deck held my Jensen 6x9s all powered by my Pioneer Supertuner!!

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

IMG_0385.JPG 1978 Chevrolet Beauville van, handed down from the family. Nicknamed "The Beast," I took my driver's test in it (parallel parking fun!),had it until sophomore year in college when the engine blew with 315,000 miles on it. Inside smelled of mold, spilled beer and desperation.

EDIT: Bonus fact — it still had a working 8-track player, but the only tape I had for it was Dad's old ABBA cassette. Waterloo!

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

1981 Mercury Bobcat, purchased right before I went to college. Looked like those old Ford Pinto hatchbacks, but had more power because it was a 6-cylinder.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

First car I drove was an Isuzu Trooper II like this one that was super boxy but great fun: Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 1.37.31 PM.png

The first car I ever picked out and the first love of my life was a silver 1986 Acura Integra, that I still miss all these years years later: Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 1.39.33 PM.png

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

1977 Buick Regal. light blue with a royal blue vinyl roof and V6 engine. Only four years old when I bought it for what seemed like a bargain price, but it was in the process of not aging well. Got below-average mileage and chugged oil at an amazingly fast pace. The paint job began failing badly after the first year. Drove and performed poorly in cold weather, a real problem in a place where winter basically lasted from November to mid-April. On the plus side, the interior (with velour seating) was very comfortable, and the AC, heater and radio were as good as or better than any I've had since.

Traded it in just before switching jobs to a faraway place because the car was seven years old, drove like it was much older and I had serious doubts about it being able to survive the trip. Have owned nothing but Chevys (which I've actually had very good luck with) and Hondas since.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

1963 Chevy Impala. My dad gave it to me for my 18th birthday in 1970. Mine was the stock gold color but it became British Racing Green after Earl Scheib got ahold of it. Chrome rims, tinted windows. Carried me through my senior year of high school and two years of junior college.
    1963-Chevrolet-Impala-american-classics--Car-100826141-ff2f3063ec0e72a3865f9704ec1dd12c.jpg

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Were you allowed in school zones in that thing?

Chef2 and dixiehack like this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A blue Nova (78) was my second car.

I was happy enough with the Omega that when it finally gave up the ghost, I basically just bought a younger GM clone.

The Nova lasted me 5 years and about 100k too. When I finally sold it, the dealer I sold it to sold it to somebody else in the same town.

By that time it had a distinctive rust patch shaped like Texas on the driver side door. For 3-4 years, every few weeks, I'd see my old car driving around town.

Pissed me off big, because my THIRD car, that I bought to replace the Nova, was a MFPOS Chevy Cavalier hatchback that blew a head gasket and cost me a thousand bucks within the first two weeks I owned it, then barely limped through another year before it completely shit the bed. Just a fucking dead loss.

Happily by that time I got a new job with a huge pay raise so I could go buy a real grownup car, with working AC and other luxuries I had never enjoyed before, but even driving in my shiny new(er) Cutlass, it pissed me off to see my old Nova with the Texas rust patch on the door still tooling around town.

If I had spent maybe a hundred bucks or so on a backyard Bondo patch fest and DIY paint job for the Nova, I'da never sunk a couple thousand (or more) into the fuckin Cavalier at all, and I'd have driven the Nova until I finally graduated to my grownup Cutlass. God damn it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Did it have tinted windows, too?

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'll bet in 1987, my Pontiac Fiero was awesome.

It was much less awesome by 1993.

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Fuck You !!!! ^^^^

That fucking Cavalier. When I was in the job application process for the big new job, the Cavalier was in its death spiral and it was becoming obvious that whether I got the new job or not, I was gonna have to get another car.

Had I not gotten the new job and the huge pay raise, I'd have probably been happy to track down whoever owned my old Nova, offered them a couple hundred bucks, and bought it back off of them.

Happily I did get the job so I couldn't engage in THAT idiocy, but I'd have been better off doing that than sinking five more bucks in the fucking Cavalier.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

1972 Dodge Dart. It was a rolling tank with a 318, but it bit the dust one rainy night when a small herd of cattle were across both lanes of the highway, leading me to hit two and total the car.
    Next, 1971 Charger with a 383. Ran like a mofo, but you literally could see the gas gauge drop when I gave it hell.
    Next, 1982 Rabbit. Got me from A to B -- mostly.
    Next, 1984 Fiero. It was great fun to drive on windy, hilly Missouri Ozark blacktops, but the engine was good for about 85,000 miles, tops.
    Next, 1994 (?) Geo Metro. No radio, no AC, 3-cylinders. Used premium because it would knock like hell on regular.
    Next, 1996 Saturn SC1. It had a radio, AC, cruise control and a sun roof.
    Next, 1997 Mustang. Six cylinders, CD stereo, cruise, etc.
    Next, 1998 Mustang Cobra convertible. 32 valves, leather, etc. Takes 45 mph corners at 75, which is way too much fun. Still own it 17 years later with 110k miles.
    Next, 1992 Toyota 4WD. Extended cab, full-size bed, frosty AC but no radio. Had it five years before a drunk flew down the hill I lived on and hit it one night, breaking the rear axle and totaling the truck. Fucking loved that truck. I wish the Cobra had been parked on the street instead of the truck, which I miss every single day.
    2005 Cadillac CTS. Or DTS. Can't remember which. Had everything. Bought it from my father-in-law.
    2013 Subaru Forester XT. Turbo-charged, leather, shitty radio, sun roof, etc. Great vehicle for me, the wife and two daughters. Hope to pass it down to the oldest one in eight years.

The only new cars were the Geo, the Saturn and the Moustang. Everything else has been used.

That's my auto history.

Draft saved Draft deleted