1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your first car.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Mine.
    [​IMG]
    65 Mustang.
    3-speed automatic with air conditioning.
    I kick myself in the ass everyday I don't still have it.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1990 Nissan Sentra. I wanted a car (and soon really needed a car), but I couldn't really afford a car. My uncle worked in the Bronx and always had his ear to the ground in the neighborhood around where he worked.

The car had only a couple of hundred miles on it. The original owner had bought it and turned the back into an accordion soon after it left the lot. The front and the engine weren't touched. I was able to buy it very cheap, and my uncle had a guy for the bodywork -- I am guessing the guy owed him for other cars my uncle had funneled his way. He charged relatively little and made the car look like new.

That car was ridiculously reliable. The engine didn't have much more power than a golf cart, but it would still be running after a nuclear holocaust. I drove it for about 4 years-- between Chicago and New York a few times--and actually was able to sell it used for around what I had paid for it. I have never had that much luck on a depreciating asset since.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix. Was 10 or 11 years old when I got it. Color: rust.

Bought it for $1600. My parents didn't drive, and I knew nothing about cars. The salesman at the lot saw I was an easy mark. I originally was looking for something small, but he sold me on the Grand Prix. The ladies would be swooning over it, he said. Partly because I was a chump and partly because I wanted out of there, I bought it.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My grandmother's 1987 Dodge Shadow, inherited when she passed away. She took meticulous care of it, but my brother and I drove it into the ground within two years.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My current vehicle - a 2007 Honda Civic, bought last September at the tender age of 57 (me, not the car). As a life-long starving artist I never had a car and once I got together with JR they were always his cars and I drove them. This car I picked out and purchased all on my own and I love it as if it were my child. :)

Huggy, dixiehack and Chef2 like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I've driven nothing but Hondas since I was 16: '87 Honda Accord, 1992 Prelude, 1990 CRX, 2000 Honda Accord (lease), 2002 (Element; mistake; hated that car, but ex-wife talked me into it). Since 2003 I've owned a Pilot. Car still runs great, minimal upkeep necessary beyond tires and some other stuff.
    I think I'd be jinxing myself if I drove anything else. Had nothing but good luck with Hondas.

HC likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Late 80s Chevy Blazer I got as a hand-me-down from my dad in 2001. The gas peddle would stick, so you would end up peeling out whenever you got going from a stop. The ignition would stick ask you couldn't turn the car off, which was extra annoying because there was always a chance the battery would be dead and not start.

It got me from A to B ... until Halloween 2001 when I totaled it while taking my sister to a party.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the first car I actually owned was a 1975 Olds Omega I bought in 1978.

[​IMG]

Mine was silver with stock wheels and regular white walls.

Three on the tree stick and the immortal GM straight six. Basically about the most simple car you could buy.

Had only a few minor paint chips when I bought it, which was miraculous for a GM car in the Seventies. I kept it for six years and about 100K, when rust cancer finally struck.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

1969 Datsun POS that was given to me. My goodness that car sucked.

Moved on quickly to a '76 Olds Delta 88 Royale. That thing was a magnificent beast.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yes, really. I was Smallpotatoes before Smallpotatoes was cool. :(

BitterYoungMatador2, Chef2 and HC like this.
  11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Late 70s, early 1980s Mercury Zephyr, which I've previously mentioned in a worst car ever thread. Parents got it for me after I got my license and I think paid $100. Thing somehow lasted two years.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

K-Car!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted