1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Video Game Ever - Any Format

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll see that and raise you this:

[​IMG]

I take back what I said earlier: This is my favorite game of all-time. Got it when I was 6 or 7 and played it against my dad for years. Passing...what a concept. Had to make sure the defender took one step in on you before you passed it. Move forward, up, down, up down, forward, up, down, forward *beep beep!!*

Loved how you could just as easily nail a 55-yard field goal as miss a 10-yarder.

I kid you not when I say that as of a few years ago, the battery in this game still worked...from like 1980. Probably toxic.

I got a new Football II when Mattel re-issued it a few years ago. It still ruled and was still a great way to kill some time.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Any of the GTA series, I like meaningless killing, it's soothing after screaming calls from angry middle school parents....

Final Fantasy II for the Super NES: For those times you want to just disappear for a few weeks and be a giant dork

The Simpsons Hit and Run: All the fun of GTA with that beautiful Simpsons twist

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Evil Otto: "The. Humanoid. Must. Not. Escape!" Great game.

Love the Medal of Honor series for the PS2.

The name of this escapes me at the moment, but there's a baseball game played by robots that you can upgrade with power and other items that not only make your team hit and throw better, but can blow up your opponent's team. The game was a blast. Anyone got the name?

Others:
    Jurassic Park for the Super NES. This was the deck I introduced my son to video games. Probably not the smartest thing I ever did, considering I can't get him off World of Warcraft. But this game was worth hours of fun.
    Jack Nicklaus Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf for the NES. Once shot 55, eagling all four par-5s and No. 10 at Riviera, while birdeing the rest. I'd come home from work to see my wife (more on this in a moment) playing this game at midnight.
    Gauntlet for the NES. My wife and I bought this with some of our wedding spoils. I introduced her to my college minor: video game experimentation. She had never played video games growing up and took to this game so quickly that we spent time in a Lubbock bookstore copying shortcuts and cheats out of a book.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved those hand-held football games (Junkie nailed the sound from "The Logical Song"). We used to play in my garage with the lights out (shaddup!) so we could see the screen properly.

Was never a arcade video guy (loved pinball with Eight Ball Deluxe being my all-time fave, I have many honourable mentions here for any fellow pinball junkies) but I loved Pole Position.

Fave home video games:

NHL '92 (I remember thinking there is no way a hockey video game could be any better than this)

Tecmo Bowl (once took the Bucs to the Super Bowl)

Jordan vs. Bird (no basketball fan but I loved tryng to master the dunks in this one)

The Punisher

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Anyone remember those arcade games that were actually cartoons? Dragon's Lair was later a Sat. mornining cartoon that I remember watching, but there was another one that was Japanese anime. I forget the name but it was awesome!!!

There was always one guy who had every move memorized, and if you were lucky he played while you were at the arcade and you watched the whole thing from beginning to end. Cool!

My all-time favorite arcade game was Dungeons and Dragons, I think was the name of it. "Yellow Elf has been eating all the food lately." ha, ha.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A family friend used to work for Mattel and one Christmas and one birthday each, my brother and I got Football 1 and Football 2, the baseball game and the basketball hand-held games. I was going through stuff in a storage area and found the Football 1 and baseball games. My nephews love 'em.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No love for the NCAA Football series yet? 2005 is a great game. I think I was in my 12th season of my dynasty before I finally upgraded to 2007.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I always loved Adventure Island for the NES when I was little, WWF No Mercy in high school and I still buy the newest NCAA Football every year for PS2.

Nothing, however, will top Tetris for me.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I get the EA Sports NHL games every year and buy NCAA Football every other year or so. I'd rather play that than Madden. I like MVP Baseball too.

Why aren't the Fight Night boxing games as much fun as Tyson's Punchout? (Did anyone ever play Buster Douglas's Punchout?)

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Back in the day: Major League Baseball. That was the actual name on NES, back when Rickey Henderson was hitting leadoff for the Yankees. Beat the Dodgers in the World Series when I was 6, haven't lost since.

Middle years: NHL '94.

Now: God of War.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Kind of like an alcoholic that avoids bars, I avoid Madden and NCAA football. The playing online option has caused me to break three controllers while smashing them against the wall and cursing louder than I ever have about anything. I would get depressed and obsessive about finding some 13-year-old kid that beat me with the same 2-3 plays to the point of mania.

So I have not bought it in three years and will not. For the sake of my family.

Now, Fifa 07? Oh hell yeah!

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Winning Eleven soccer series on ps2
    Best physics of any sports series. No two goals are alike.

Punch Out
    Just plain fun.

The Legend of Zelda
    I loved this game as a child.

Draft saved Draft deleted