1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Video Game Ever - Any Format

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, Feb 15, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

up up down down left right left right b a

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

fixed

Also, if you do left right with the D-pad and not the shoulder buttons in Super Contra, you die on the spot.

3. Project Gotham Racing 3 -- XBox 360 (I'm on Live constantly playing this if y'all wanna ball.)
    Baseball Stars -- NES
    Super Mario World -- SNES
    Snafu -- Intellivision
    FIFA 05 -- XBox
    Seaquest -- Atari 2600

If you were an INTV guy like me, check this out: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/download.shtml

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Many, many good memories of going to the local Thrifty Drug store and playing this game, which they had right at the entrance almost as an afterthought.

I like pinball games that are heavy on the targets and objectives and light on the gimmicks; in otherwords, where everything's in front of you.

5. RBI Baseball: My brother and I went 33 innings tied 1-1 with the Astros and Padres before Craig Biggio's two-run homer won it in the 34th. Had a stupid rule where you couldn't throw more than five pitcher a game. Another extra-inning game Mike Scoscia went 0-for-13. Tom Candiotti's knuckleball was sick.

Tecmo Super Bowl: We played tournaments (screw seasons with the computer - we were too competitive). First by divisions, then by conference and then by the NFL. Game burned out in the NFL, but I do remember Green Bay going in as the 28th seed (my brother was the No. 1 seed Raiders, and I won). Giants won the first tournament (biggest highlight: Falcons 3, Saints 2), and Raiders won second.

Speaking of which, is/was Ricky Proehl the last active player from that game??

6. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    2. Contra
    3. NBA Jam
    4. Donkey Kong Country
    5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

7. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I think I'll win top honors for biggest dork after this post. But what the hell.
    My first year out of college, my roommate and I played NCAA College Football on PlayStation just about every day for three or four months. The first week or so after making this time-sucking purchase, we played friendlies. Vanderbilt vs. Army. MTSU vs. Akron, etc. But then we got serious. After 6 to 8 hours of this shit a day, we got an idea of which teams kicked ass, which ones sucked. Still, every team got a shot at making the Big Dance. First, we randomly selected the 'regular season' matchups. If Florida drew UTEP, tough shit for UTEP. That's who they were playing. There must've been 55 or so regular season games and we'd flip a coin to choose sides.
    After slogging through all of these games, many of which were played at 2 in the morning drunk as hell, sometimes in front of other irritated friends, we cast ballots and then averaged the votes. No, neither one of us had girlfriends at the time. I think that went without saying.
    Once the field of 64 was finalized, we actually went to Walgreens and bought posterboard and magic markers. My roommate, his penmanship being much better than mine, made out the bracket. We hung that fucker above the futon in the living room, right next to his Jimmy Buffett poster. Sort of a testament to our idiocy.
    The big favorites were Marshall and Florida. Their passing games were impossible to stop. A lot of times we'd play the lay-down-and-die defense just to get the ball back. But the Final Four ended up being Ole Miss, Air Force, BYU and someone else. In the end, my Cougars couldn't stop Deuce McAllister, though the championship was decided on the final play. Down seven, I lost when the Rebs broke up the hail mary in the end zone. Fun times, but goddamn, we were dorks.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm gonna up the dork stakes, wedge.

I haven't played video games since the C-64, but I was a hardcore D&D spaz and played the Ultima series goofy. (I even wrote Richard Garriott, aka Lord British, to tell him how fucking awesome those games were.)

After I finished Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, and before Ultima V came out, I actually got a giant sheet of graph paper and mapped the whole of Brittania -- I'm talking full color, every single square of that game. I was so freaking proud of that map, I probably still have that somewhere.

When I find it, I will ceremoniously burn it, along with memories of my virgin, four-eyed self.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Jones, Wedge:

I'm right there with you, believe me, in past video game dork-dum.

True, I never went and bought markers to make up an elimination
    chart (we just did them by pencil in our dorm for Blades of Steel), and I never made a graph representation of Brittania, but there were tons of adventure games where I would map out the terrain just so I had some clue of where I was going (Might and Magic, for one).

I got an incomplete one semester (or several) solely because of Doom. The guy who used to let me stay in his room all night and play was the best. Thanks, George!

Speaking of dorm games, here's one I haven't seen yet. It was as good on Nintendo as in the arcade: Ring King.

You always tried to get that 'spin around' K.O., or if you were really lucky, you could knock the guy out of the ring. That was a great game to play against another person, up there with any of the other great sports games.

Draft saved Draft deleted